* Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 14:42 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-02-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP
with the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with
just my .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling
in the file is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm
used to when typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse,
which I know is probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before.
When I look at the task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no
cpu time and memory usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries
are built with debugging information.
I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it
shouldn't be necessary I feel.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

- Eric

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 15:02 ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-02-24 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eric Lilja wrote:
> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP
> with the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with
> just my .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling
> in the file is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm
> used to when typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse,
> which I know is probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before.
> When I look at the task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no
> cpu time and memory usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries
> are built with debugging information.
> I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
> debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it
> shouldn't be necessary I feel.
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> - Eric

Hmm, I performed a fresh checkout and started to rebuild without
debugging information and not with the new font backend enabled but the
bootstrap gets stuck compiling /net/net-utils.el (consuming 100 % cpu
time on one core, but never getting past it). This is the same problem I
reported on the 22-branch some time ago but I never got any response to
that.

@ 2008-02-24 15:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lilja; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP with
> the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with just my
> .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling in the file
> is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm used to when
> typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse, which I know is
> probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before. When I look at the
> task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no cpu time and memory
> usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries are built with
> debugging information.
> I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
> debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it shouldn't
> be necessary I feel.

Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
backend enabled.

Please keep compiling *with* the new font backend, and if you want the
good old speed just run emacs with --disable-font-backend (yes, it can
be chosen at runtime).

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 16:06   ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-02-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP with
>> the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with just my
>> .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling in the file
>> is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm used to when
>> typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse, which I know is
>> probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before. When I look at the
>> task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no cpu time and memory
>> usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries are built with
>> debugging information.
>> I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
>> debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it shouldn't
>> be necessary I feel.
>
> Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
> My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
> backend enabled.

I did say it was WinXP, didn't I? I also wrote that the new font backend
was enabled. You didn't have to use a crystal ball only to read what I
wrote more carefully. ;) I meant to say "WinXP machine", however. It's
XP Pro SP2 with all the updates from Windows Update.

> Please keep compiling *with* the new font backend, and if you want the
> good old speed just run emacs with --disable-font-backend (yes, it can
> be chosen at runtime).

OK, I will keep compiling with the font back enabled and will try to see
how the performance is when it's disabled at runtime. Hopefully, the
performance of the new font backend (if this is indeed the culprit of
the lack-luster performance I'm seeing) will increase because it's
rather painful to work with it now. Thanks for your reply.

@ 2008-02-24 16:09   ` Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2008-02-24 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eric Lilja, emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

>> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my
>> WinXP with the new font backend enabled.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
> My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
> backend enabled.

Perhaps you should remove the crystal ball between your eyes and your
mailclient while reading mail :-)

	Hannes

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 16:51     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-02-24 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Weiner; +Cc: Eric Lilja, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Johannes Weiner <hannes@saeurebad.de> writes:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:
>
>>> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my
>>> WinXP with the new font backend enabled.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
>> My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
>> backend enabled.
>
> Perhaps you should remove the crystal ball between your eyes and your
> mailclient while reading mail :-)

He might have been crosscompiling for GNU/Linux.  The above just states
the build platform.

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 19:56       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: mindcooler, emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:51:09 +0100
> Cc: Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com>,
> 	Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> He might have been crosscompiling for GNU/Linux.

Yeah, right...

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 20:56     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-24 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Weiner; +Cc: Eric Lilja, emacs-devel

>>> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my
>>> WinXP with the new font backend enabled.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
>> My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
>> backend enabled.

> Perhaps you should remove the crystal ball between your eyes and your
> mailclient while reading mail :-)

Oh, that's what it was, thanks!

* Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
@ 2008-02-24 22:51   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-02-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eric Lilja, emacs-devel

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> just run emacs with --disable-font-backend (yes, it can
>  be chosen at runtime).

Not that the output of "emacs --help" mention it...

             Juanma