* Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-17  8:31 Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-04-17  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

How can I put the output of vc-dir in dired mode?

Andreas.

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-17 10:22 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-04-17 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

() Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
() Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:31:57 +0200

   How can I put the output of vc-dir in dired mode?

Given DIR and a list RELATIVE-FILENAMES, you can try:
(dired-directory (cons DIR RELATIVE-FILENAMES)).

thi

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-18 11:30   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-04-18 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
> () Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:31:57 +0200
>
>    How can I put the output of vc-dir in dired mode?
>
> Given DIR and a list RELATIVE-FILENAMES, you can try:
> (dired-directory (cons DIR RELATIVE-FILENAMES)).

That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step backwards from
vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are missing from vc-dir.

@ 2008-04-18 16:38     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Thien-Thi Nguyen, emacs-devel

>> How can I put the output of vc-dir in dired mode?
>>
>> Given DIR and a list RELATIVE-FILENAMES, you can try:
>> (dired-directory (cons DIR RELATIVE-FILENAMES)).

> That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step backwards from
> vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are missing from vc-dir.

Which bindings would these be?

        Stefan

PS: You can still use M-x vc-dired RET, of course, tho its future
doesn't look bright from here.

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-18 16:44       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-04-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Thien-Thi Nguyen, emacs-devel

>>> How can I put the output of vc-dir in dired mode?
>>>
>>> Given DIR and a list RELATIVE-FILENAMES, you can try:
>>> (dired-directory (cons DIR RELATIVE-FILENAMES)).
>
>> That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step backwards from
>> vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are missing from vc-dir.
>
> Which bindings would these be?

Things like multiple marks, marking all files (in a directory), running
shell commands on marked files, etc.  All these things that make dired
such a powerful tool.

@ 2008-04-19 14:05     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-04-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

() Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
() Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:30:44 +0200

   That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step
   backwards from vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are
   missing from vc-dir.

That's why i stick w/ Emacs from CVS from a few months ago,
when similar discussion resulted in "if you want it, add it back
yourself".  I knew it would just be a matter of time before some
messy damage happened...

thi

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-19 14:25       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-04-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
> () Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:30:44 +0200
>
>    That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step
>    backwards from vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are
>    missing from vc-dir.
>
> That's why i stick w/ Emacs from CVS from a few months ago,
> when similar discussion resulted in "if you want it, add it back
> yourself".  I knew it would just be a matter of time before some
> messy damage happened...

That's what development is all about.  By all means complain in detail
rather than sit back and let the changes sort "themselves" out without
your input.

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-19 17:08         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-04-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

() David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
() Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:25:25 +0200

   That's what development is all about.

That may be true, but i tend to appreciate hacking that doesn't
break things in the process of making other things.

   By all means complain in detail rather than sit back and let
   the changes sort "themselves" out without your input.

I did the former, and now direct interested parties to:
<http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/>  (vc-status-hacking, vc-git-hacking)

so that i may do the latter (wrt Emacs).

thi

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-19 19:46           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel

>    That's what development is all about.

> That may be true, but i tend to appreciate hacking that doesn't
> break things in the process of making other things.

>    By all means complain in detail rather than sit back and let
>    the changes sort "themselves" out without your input.

> I did the former, and now direct interested parties to:
> <http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/>  (vc-status-hacking, vc-git-hacking)

> so that i may do the latter (wrt Emacs).

Please submit changes here.

* Re: Putting vc status under dired
@ 2008-04-19 21:56         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-19 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Thien-Thi Nguyen, emacs-devel

>>> That's not what I mean.  Currently vc-dir is a big step backwards from
>>> vc-dired.  All the useful dired bindings are missing from vc-dir.
>>
>> Which bindings would these be?

> Things like multiple marks, marking all files (in a directory), running
> shell commands on marked files, etc.  All these things that make dired
> such a powerful tool.

Patches to reconcile vc-dired and vc-dir are welcome, just as are
patches to make vc-dired use the new `dir-status' operation.