From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA: New package: taxy.el
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 18:32:30 -0400	[thread overview]

> I'd like to submit taxy.el to NonGNU ELPA:

Why not GNU ELPA?

> Following the nongnu README.org file, I was unable to test the "make
> build/taxy" step, because apparently my version of git doesn't have the
> "--no-track" argument to the "git worktree" command (and upgrading git
> manually is more than I want to do at the moment ;).  But I assume that
> it will work correctly, because everything seems to be in order.

Sorry 'bout that dependency.  I could try and lift it, but then again
I had to upgrade the `git` on `elpa.gnu.org` because some of the
commands used hit bugs that caused it crash and those uses are hard to
eliminate, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I checked and your recipe seems to work fine, yes.

> 1.  I didn't see anything about "externals" in the nongnu readme.
> Forgive me, because this has probably been rehashed many times here, but
> do I need to specify that manually, or is that the default for the
> nongnu repo?  I do intend to maintain the package in my own repo.

That's the assumption when you have `:url "...."` in the spec, yes.

> 2.  I currently have the version header on "0.1-pre".  Do I need to use
> a "non-pre" version number in order for the package to be built and
> published on (nongnu) ELPA?

Yes.  The "0.1-pre" version will still appear in the ..-devel archive
(where we always build the latest revision regardless of the version
number), but not in the main one.