From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: <brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How about introducing a new frame parameter: topmost
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 23:55:49 -0400	[thread overview]

>> > If this parameter is true, the frame is shown as a TOPMOST window.
>> The tricky part is to coerce the window manager into agreeing
>> with Emacs.
> It is quit easy to implement it in Windows, simply calling WIN API
> SetWindowPos.

It needs to work under X11 as well before I'd consider integrating the
feature.  BTW, another detail is: does this property mean "stay above
every other GUI window", or "stay above the current Emacs frame", or
"stay above all other frames owned by this Emacs process"?

The latter seems more useful.  The former is probably what your
code does.  In X11, there's a feature which could do something like
the 2nd option, which is to mark a frame as being "transient", in which
case most window managers will try to keep it "above its parent window",
at least if that transient window is sufficiently small.