* grep-mode-map & compilation-minor-mode-map
@ 2008-05-07 19:40 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-05-07 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: grep-mode-map & compilation-minor-mode-map
@ 2008-05-08  1:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-08  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

> 1. grep.el uses (cons 'keymap compilation-minor-mode-map) instead of
> more "abstract"
> ~  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
> ~    (set-keymap-parent map compilation-minor-mode-map)
> is there a specific reason for that?

No.

> 2. is it OK to add these to compilation-minor-mode-map?
> ~  (define-key map "g" 'recompile) ; revert
> ~  (define-key map "q" 'quit-window)
> they appear to be rather standard for non-self-insert buffers and rather
> useful as well.

I'm not sure about these bindings.  Currently, other than RET, this
minor-mode map doesn't bind any of the normal editing keys.
Maybe it'd be better to add them to grep only for now,

* Re: grep-mode-map & compilation-minor-mode-map
@ 2008-05-08  4:19   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-05-08  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2008-05-07 21:53:52 -0400]:
>
>> 2. is it OK to add these to compilation-minor-mode-map?
>> ~  (define-key map "g" 'recompile) ; revert
>> ~  (define-key map "q" 'quit-window)
>> they appear to be rather standard for non-self-insert buffers and rather
>> useful as well.
>
> I'm not sure about these bindings.  Currently, other than RET, this
> minor-mode map doesn't bind any of the normal editing keys.
> Maybe it'd be better to add them to grep only for now,

binding RET indicates all the buffers using this map
will be read-only, so I don't see why not add it here.
I you absolutely sure you do not want it?

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
http://ffii.org http://dhimmi.com http://truepeace.org