* repairing allout auto-save decrypted-topic protection before emacs 24 release
@ 2011-07-04 18:59 ken manheimer
From: ken manheimer @ 2011-07-04 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

hi, all.  i've discovered a problem with an allout provision to protect
against auto-saves of outlines with encrypted topics that are currently
decrypted, and should have a fix soon.  however, with the imminent emacs 24,
i wanted to let you know that i'm working on a fix, and hope to check it in
before the release happens.  i should have the fix done by the end of the
day, and don't expect that the release really is that imminent, but figured
it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

incidentally, the problem i discovered has to do with the way that
auto-save-hook is used.  apparently it isn't checked in the context of each
buffer where auto-save is happening, and it offers no provision for
gracefully preventing an auto-save per individual buffer, like eg
write-contents-functions does.  so i'm going to be transiently settting
buffer-saved-size to -1 while there are decrypted items to exempt such
buffers from auto-save - should have that done by the end of the day.
 (suggestions about the approach are welcome.)

ken manheimer

* Re: repairing allout auto-save decrypted-topic protection before emacs 24 release
@ 2011-07-04 22:24 ` ken manheimer
From: ken manheimer @ 2011-07-04 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

ok, done.  with the bonus that regular file writes with included topics
pending encryption are handled much better, as well.

ken

@ 2011-07-05  3:35 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-05  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken manheimer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> decrypted, and should have a fix soon.  however, with the imminent Emacs 24,

Emacs-24 is not imminent.  We've just started the feature-freeze.
We hope to have a release early next year, tho time will tell if we can
fix enough of the bugs before then.