* .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-22  5:11 Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2011-11-22  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can somebody give me an idea about why some files ".el" compile fine
with ./configure & make, but
not with: ./configure --with-ns & make? Is annoying that after an
update, emacs can compile
sometimes with gnustep, and sometimes not. But if I try with
./configure & make, all works fine. And
each time the problem is with a different ".el" file.

* Re: .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-22 15:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Can somebody give me an idea about why some files ".el" compile fine
> with ./configure & make, but not with: ./configure --with-ns & make?
> Is annoying that after an update, emacs can compile sometimes with
> gnustep, and sometimes not.  But if I try with ./configure & make, all
> works fine.  And each time the problem is with a different ".el" file.

Can't think of any obvious reason.  If you show us some example of
errors you get with "./configure --with-ns & make", maybe we can help
a little better.

* Re: .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-22 18:26   ` Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2011-11-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2011-11-22 09:41:33 -0600 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
wrote:

>> Can somebody give me an idea about why some files ".el" compile fine
>> with ./configure & make, but not with: ./configure --with-ns & make?
>> Is annoying that after an update, emacs can compile sometimes with
>> gnustep, and sometimes not.  But if I try with ./configure & make,
>> all
>> works fine.  And each time the problem is with a different ".el"
>> file.
>
> Can't think of any obvious reason.  If you show us some example of
> errors you get with "./configure --with-ns & make", maybe we can help
> a little better.
>

>         Stefan

With rev 106478 I get (and gcc 4.6.0):

Compiling align.el
Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/align.elc
Compiling allout-widgets.el
Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/allout-widgets.elc
Compiling allout.el
Aborted
make[3]: *** [allout.elc] Error 134
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp'
make[2]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp'
make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

There isn't enough information. At least to me.

* Re: .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-22 20:25     ` chad
From: chad @ 2011-11-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Nov 22, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Germán Arias wrote:

> With rev 106478 I get (and gcc 4.6.0):
>
> Compiling align.el
> Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/align.elc
> Compiling allout-widgets.el
> Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/allout-widgets.elc
> Compiling allout.el
> Aborted
> make[3]: *** [allout.elc] Error 134
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp'
> make[2]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp'
> make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/german/Instalados/emacs'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> There isn't enough information. At least to me.

FWIW, I don't see this with --with-ns under macosx.

*Chad

* Re: .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-22 22:33     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Germán Arias; +Cc: emacs-devel

> With rev 106478 I get (and gcc 4.6.0):

> Compiling align.el
> Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/align.elc
> Compiling allout-widgets.el
> Wrote /home/german/Instalados/emacs/lisp/allout-widgets.elc
> Compiling allout.el
> Aborted
[...]
> There isn't enough information. At least to me.

Hmm... indeed that isn't much data to work from.
If you do "make" after such an error, does it crash again?
If so, re-run the emacs command that crashes, but under a debugger so we
can get a backtrace.

* Re: .el files with gnustep
@ 2011-11-23  6:43       ` Germán Arias
From: Germán Arias @ 2011-11-23  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2011-11-22 16:33:16 -0600 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
wrote:

> If you do "make" after such an error, does it crash again?

Yes

> If so, re-run the emacs command that crashes, but under a debugger so
> we
> can get a backtrace.

With:

./configure --with-ns
gdb make
run

It compile without problem. I also tried with:

./configure --with-ns --enable-use-lisp-union-type
make

And again compile without problem. But:

./configure --with-ns
make

still crash. At least now compile with "--with-ns
--enable-use-lisp-union-type".
And I can test Emacs.app.