* How to keep package greader updated?
@ 2024-06-28 14:47 Michelangelo Rodriguez
From: Michelangelo Rodriguez @ 2024-06-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I updated greader, a package that is hosted on gnu elpa: but the updates
don't happen in elpa.
There is some thing i should do to keep it updated?
I'm the author and the maintainer of this package.
Thanks
Michelangelo Rodriguez

* Re: How to keep package greader updated?
@ 2024-06-29  3:10 ` Stefan Kangas
       [not found]   ` <jwvtthctmiw.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-06-29  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michelangelo Rodriguez, emacs-devel; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Stefan Monnier

Michelangelo Rodriguez <michelangelo.rodriguez@gmail.com> writes:

> I updated greader, a package that is hosted on gnu elpa: but the updates
> don't happen in elpa.
> There is some thing i should do to keep it updated?
> I'm the author and the maintainer of this package.
> Thanks
> Michelangelo Rodriguez

Philip, Stefan, any thoughts?

The version header seems to have been bumped:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs/elpa.git;a=blobdiff;f=greader.el;h=c2b3f2095ced981c8215ce8bad7d09e222729761;hp=7b0e198921737db4a6b9263df86c701d00ff9b0d;hb=38b4190780a475a974eec4bbc13c048ff1a0fd16;hpb=197b4f780ac55d13e5fb5a21d16dbdfbab07b99b

@ 2024-06-29 11:50     ` Michelangelo Rodriguez
From: Michelangelo Rodriguez @ 2024-06-29 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> I updated greader, a package that is hosted on gnu elpa: but the updates
>>> don't happen in elpa.
>>> There is some thing i should do to keep it updated?
>>> I'm the author and the maintainer of this package.
>>> Thanks
>>> Michelangelo Rodriguez
>> Philip, Stefan, any thoughts?
>
> I think it's explained by the email below
Ok, I fixed (hopefully!) copyright on these 2 files.
But when i try to rebuild the package locally in elpa the errors still
persists.
I replaced the folder "elpa/packages/greader" with my own local
directory, but it does'nt change.
The line is missing i think is:
;; Copyright (C) 2017-2024  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
I added the line above in the two files.
What is the next step?
Thanks.

@ 2024-06-29 23:05       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-06-29 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michelangelo Rodriguez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Ok, I fixed (hopefully!) copyright on these 2 files.

Seems like it worked:

    http://elpa.gnu.org/devel/greader.html

> But when i try to rebuild the package locally in elpa the errors still
> persists.
> I replaced the folder "elpa/packages/greader" with my own local
> directory, but it does'nt change.

The `make build/<foo>` command doesn't use the "current code" but uses
the code that was committed (it first does a `git stash`, basically).
Maybe that's what you're seeing?

* Re: How to keep package greader updated?
@ 2024-06-30 11:34         ` Michelangelo Rodriguez
From: Michelangelo Rodriguez @ 2024-06-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Ok, I fixed (hopefully!) copyright on these 2 files.
>
> Seems like it worked:
package-refresh-contents
describe-package
greader

This is the output:
Package greader is source.

   Requires: emacs-26.1, seq-2.24, compat-29.1.4.5
Other versions: 0.9.20 (gnu).

Usage:

In order to use greader, you have to install either espeak and/or
speech-dispatcher and, in case of speech-dispatcher, it has to work.

If external packages work properly, using greader is easy:
'M-x greader-mode <ret>'
In the mode line appears "greader".

Then you press 'C-r <spc>' and greader starts reading, moving the
cursor at the start of the sentence it is reading at the moment.

To stop reading, just press '<spc>'.

If you want to change the language in which the text is spoken, press
'C-r l', and when asked to new language, digit the language iso code.
If you want to cycle throwgh available back-ends, you have to press
'C-r b'. With a prefix arg, this command asks you to type a back-end
name.

Other features:
You can set a timer, enabling it with 'C-r t'.

With timer enabled, greader will read for time set in "greader-timer"
variable, which is customizable.

You can set a timer locally in the buffer you are reading with 'M-x greader-set-timer':
Timer is expressed in minutes.

There is a variant of the timer feature, called "greader-tired-mode",
in which, when timer expires, and you don't press a key for a
customizable amount of seconds, greader will position the pointer at
last position when you pressed 'C-r <spc>'.

To enable tired mode, you have to press 'C-r s'.

More features are coming!

In other versions it reports "0.9.20"
So i should do something different than i done in the past?

@ 2024-06-30 15:14           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-06-30 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michelangelo Rodriguez; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Ok, I fixed (hopefully!) copyright on these 2 files.
>> Seems like it worked:
> package-refresh-contents
> describe-package
> greader

Do you have GNU-devel in your `package-archives`?  Compare

    http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/greader.html

vs

    http://elpa.gnu.org/devel/greader.html

The fix worked for GNU-devel ELPA but in order to get a release on GNU
ELPA you still have to bump the `Version:` (because the release tarballs
are built from the commits that change the `Version:`, and those commits
still have the missing copyright line).