* generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-10 23:37 Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2008-04-10 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I was trying some update-file-autoloads and generate-file-autoloads via
progn forms in a test file, running them with C-M-x.  Eg.

    (progn
      (switch-to-buffer "x")
      (require 'autoload)
      (generate-file-autoloads "foo.el"))

I was very confused that my defgroups (in foo.el) like

    ;;;###autoload
    (defgroup my-group nil "This is my group."
      :prefix "my-group-"
      :group 'applications)

would end up in the output with ellipsis like

    (let ((loads (get ... ...))) (if (member (quote "foo") loads) nil (put (quote my-group) (quote custom-loads) (cons ... loads))))

I guess eval-expression-print-level interferes with what autoloads.el is
trying to produce.  I wonder autoloads.el could bind print-level like it
does print-length, for certainty of output.

2008-04-11  Kevin Ryde  <user42@zip.com.au>

	* emacs-lisp/autoload.el (autoload-generate-file-autoloads): Bind
	print-level to ensure defgroup output forms aren't truncated if
	print-level is set to eval-expression-print-level when going via
	eval-defun and friends, or has been otherwise fiddled with.

[-- Attachment #2: autoload.el.print-level.diff --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 454 bytes --]

*** autoload.el	07 Apr 2008 08:04:36 +1000	1.136
--- autoload.el	11 Apr 2008 09:12:19 +1000
***************
*** 335,340 ****
--- 335,341 ----
      (let ((autoloads-done '())
            (load-name (autoload-file-load-name file))
            (print-length nil)
+           (print-level nil)
            (print-readably t)           ; This does something in Lucid Emacs.
            (float-output-format nil)
            (visited (get-file-buffer file))

* Re: generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-11  1:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-11  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Ryde; +Cc: emacs-devel

> ***************
> *** 335,340 ****
> --- 335,341 ----
>       (let ((autoloads-done '())
>             (load-name (autoload-file-load-name file))
>             (print-length nil)
> +           (print-level nil)
>             (print-readably t)           ; This does something in Lucid Emacs.
>             (float-output-format nil)
>             (visited (get-file-buffer file))

Thanks, installed,

* Re: generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-12 23:07   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2008-04-12 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> installed,

It occurred to me to wonder what business eval-defun has binding those
print variables during the eval, as opposed to just the printing of the
result, but doing anything about that looks a bit difficult.

* Re: generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-13 19:24     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Ryde; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It occurred to me to wonder what business eval-defun has binding those
> print variables during the eval, as opposed to just the printing of the
> result, but doing anything about that looks a bit difficult.

Actually, looking at the code of eval-expression, it seems to only bind
those variables around the print part, not the eval part.

* Re: generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-14  0:46       ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2008-04-14  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Actually, looking at the code of eval-expression, it seems to only bind
> those variables around the print part, not the eval part.

Yep, eval-expression and eval-last-sexp both seem ok, but eval-defun
not.  Eg. C-M-x on (progn print-level) ==> 4.

* Re: generate autoloads versus eval-expression-print-level (patch)
@ 2008-04-14  1:53         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-14  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Ryde; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Actually, looking at the code of eval-expression, it seems to only bind
>> those variables around the print part, not the eval part.

> Yep, eval-expression and eval-last-sexp both seem ok, but eval-defun
> not.  Eg. C-M-x on (progn print-level) ==> 4.

Oh, indeed, and it's not obvious how best to fix it.  Hmm...