* ELPA updating properly?
@ 2016-01-21 19:11 Ken Manheimer
From: Ken Manheimer @ 2016-01-21 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Is ELPA failing to update, or am I doing something wrong with my package?

A few days ago (Tue Jan 19 00:47:58 2016 -0500), I converted my multishell.el
package <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/multishell.html> from a regular
directory to a git subtree, changing the version at that juncture from
1.0.4 to 1.0.5. I've updated the subtree several times since then, pushing
the changes to master (and receiving emailed confirmations), but haven't
seen the released version change from 1.0.4.

Did I botch the changeover of my package from directory to git subtree? Or
does ELPA not update releases as frequently as I expect? Or is it somehow
broken? (It took several days after my original addition of the directory
to ELPA before my package was released, apparently because ELPA was failing
to update at the time.)

Ken

* Re: ELPA updating properly?
@ 2016-01-22 12:04 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2016-01-22 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Manheimer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com> writes:

> Is ELPA failing to update, or am I doing something wrong with my
> package?

No, it was probably my fault, I'm sorry.  My new package gnome-c-style
didn't have proper copyright header in the test script and that seems to
have caused update-archive.sh to exit intermediately:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/admin/update-archive.sh#n70

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: ELPA updating properly?
@ 2016-01-22 18:10   ` Ken Manheimer
From: Ken Manheimer @ 2016-01-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> wrote:

> Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is ELPA failing to update, or am I doing something wrong with my
> > package?
>
> No, it was probably my fault, I'm sorry.  My new package gnome-c-style
> didn't have proper copyright header in the test script and that seems to
> have caused update-archive.sh to exit intermediately:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/admin/update-archive.sh#n70

Ah, ok - thanks for rectifying it.

(It sounds like the archive update process is too sensitive to problems
with individual packages? If I'm understanding correctly, then it should
report problems with a package, and move on to the next, rather than
disrupting the entire process. From only having glanced at the code, that
may require refactoring, and of course it takes someone who has time to do
that...)

Ken

Regards,
> --
> Daiki Ueno

* Re: ELPA updating properly?
@ 2016-01-23  6:14     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-01-23  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> (It sounds like the archive update process is too sensitive to problems
> with individual packages? If I'm understanding correctly, then it should
> report problems with a package, and move on to the next, rather than
> disrupting the entire process.

Agreed.  I plead guilty!

> From only having glanced at the code, that may require refactoring,
> and of course it takes someone who has time to do that...)

Thank you for stepping forward.  ;-)