* bring lisp-eval-defun in line with eval-defun
@ 2008-04-04 20:12 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-04-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: bring lisp-eval-defun in line with eval-defun
@ 2008-04-04 21:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-04 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

> eval-defun on defvar resets the variable (as if the evaluated form were
> defconst).
> lisp-eval-defun does not.
> any objection to changing lisp-eval-defun to be in line with eval-defun,
> i.e., checking that the form is a defvar and resetting the variable?

Fine by me, but ... where's the patch?

* Re: bring lisp-eval-defun in line with eval-defun
@ 2008-04-07 16:02   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-04-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Re: bring lisp-eval-defun in line with eval-defun
@ 2008-04-07 19:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-07 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

> |> eval-defun on defvar resets the variable (as if the evaluated form were
> |> defconst).
> |> lisp-eval-defun does not.
> |> any objection to changing lisp-eval-defun to be in line with eval-defun,
> |> i.e., checking that the form is a defvar and resetting the variable?
> |
> | Fine by me, but ... where's the patch?

> in the CVS.
> do you think this change deserves a NEWS entry?

I don't use lisp-mode, so I don't know how important that is, but if
that change had been made to elisp-mode, I'd want to see it in
etc/NEWS, yes.