* lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el
@ 2013-04-26 17:04 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Gnus

lisp/gnus has this vital .dir-locals.el:

  ((emacs-lisp-mode . ((show-trailing-whitespace . t))))

(Which seems like personal preference to me.)

Anyway, this prevents the actually-has-useful-content
(log-edit-rewrite-fixes etc) top-level Emacs .dir-locals.el from being
seen.

The simplest solution seems not to have lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el in the
Emacs repo. (Rather than duplicating all the top-level content into the
Gnus one, or implementing .dir-locals inheritance, desirable though that
might be.)

* Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el
@ 2013-04-26 19:00 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> lisp/gnus has this vital .dir-locals.el:
>   ((emacs-lisp-mode . ((show-trailing-whitespace . t))))
> (Which seems like personal preference to me.)

I tend to agree, tho it might actually reflect a coding convention used
for all of Gnus code.

> Anyway, this prevents the actually-has-useful-content
> (log-edit-rewrite-fixes etc) top-level Emacs .dir-locals.el from
> being seen.

Indeed (I didn't notice it because I always commit from a vc-dir buffer
showing the whole of `emacs' rather than a particular subdirectory).

> The simplest solution seems not to have lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el in the
> Emacs repo. (Rather than duplicating all the top-level content into the
> Gnus one, or implementing .dir-locals inheritance, desirable though that
> might be.)

I'll let the Gnus people decide what they prefer in the short term, but
dir-locals inheritance would be very welcome.

* Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el
@ 2013-05-01  0:13   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-05-01  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:00:15 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>> lisp/gnus has this vital .dir-locals.el:
>> ((emacs-lisp-mode . ((show-trailing-whitespace . t))))
>> (Which seems like personal preference to me.)

SM> I tend to agree, tho it might actually reflect a coding convention used
SM> for all of Gnus code.

Not from me, but I like it for Gnus work.

SM> I'll let the Gnus people decide what they prefer in the short term, but
SM> dir-locals inheritance would be very welcome.

I would really like dir-locals inheritance.  It seems pretty trivial:
add a new entry like (non-root . t) to the alist for any dir-locals
files that are not roots.  I saw a long discussion about it but don't
know what's blocking the feature.

Ted

* Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el
@ 2013-05-05  4:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-05  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I would really like dir-locals inheritance.  It seems pretty trivial:
> add a new entry like (non-root . t) to the alist for any dir-locals
> files that are not roots.

That sounds about right, yes (tho I'd use a name like `inherit').