* Running process filters in another thread
@ 2018-09-28 18:21 yyoncho
From: yyoncho @ 2018-09-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I want to raise this topic regarding the rise of Language servers and the
performance
problems that are related to parsing process output on UI thread.

I am not familiar with emacs internals and I am not sure whether this is
doable
but I wonder whether providing the option to do the parsing(and probably
more?)
in a separate thread and then call the *filter* function on emacs side in UI
thread with elisp data structures like lists, hashmaps etc. instead of raw
string is feasible which would be similar to what is happening in
Javascript world.

I want to mention that the alternative approach is to create JSON-RPC
specific process e.
g. provide make-json-rpc-process which does what I have described above.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed in the past, I was unable to find
something on the topic and please correct me if there is a way to move the
parsing
outside out UI thread.

Thanks,
Ivan