* Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tests.el
       [not found] ` <20211220151238.2DADD209AC@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-12-20 16:21   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-12-20 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> +;; Silence byte-compiler.
> +(defun eitest-subordinate--eieio-childp ())
> +(defun class-alloc-initarg--eieio-childp ())

Hmm... I don't understand this code.
If `declare-function` can't be used, we should have a comment
explaining why.

* Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tests.el
@ 2021-12-20 17:38     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-12-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> +;; Silence byte-compiler.
>> +(defun eitest-subordinate--eieio-childp ())
>> +(defun class-alloc-initarg--eieio-childp ())
>
> Hmm... I don't understand this code.
> If `declare-function` can't be used, we should have a comment
> explaining why.

Duh, I somehow forgot that I can use that also for Lisp functions.

Now fixed, thanks.

BTW, there are only four remaining warnings in the test suite if someone who
knows eieio feels like taking a look.

* Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tests.el
@ 2022-01-09 19:19       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-01-09 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

* Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> [2021-12-21 13:55]:

> >> +;; Silence byte-compiler.
> >> +(defun eitest-subordinate--eieio-childp ())
> >> +(defun class-alloc-initarg--eieio-childp ())
> >
> > Hmm... I don't understand this code.
> > If `declare-function` can't be used, we should have a comment
> > explaining why.
>
> Duh, I somehow forgot that I can use that also for Lisp functions.
>
> Now fixed, thanks.
>
> BTW, there are only four remaining warnings in the test suite if someone who
> knows eieio feels like taking a look.

What I know is that I cannot run helm and other packages because in
latest development version I am getting:

byte-code: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio--defgeneric-init-form

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tests.el
@ 2022-01-10  3:38         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-01-10  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What I know is that I cannot run helm and other packages because in
> latest development version I am getting:
>
> byte-code: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio--defgeneric-init-form

The etc/NEWS explains that:

    ** Support for old EIEIO functions is not autoloaded any more.
    You need an explicit (require 'eieio-compat) to use 'defmethod'
    and 'defgeneric' (which have been made obsolete in Emacs-25 with
    'cl-defmethod' and 'cl-defgeneric').
    Similarly you might need to (require 'eieio-compat) before loading
    files that were compiled with an old EIEIO (Emacs<25).

The better fix is probably to recompile those packages with an Emacs≥25.