* Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-06-30  8:04 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-06-30  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Whenever a file gets deleted in the repository, and I do
M-x cvs-examine RET /home/devel/emacs RET

then the file gets listed as removed in the status display with
additional `...' quote marks around it.  Updating that too-much-quoted
file will cause a failure, since the directory of the file can't be
found when it is looked for including the quote marks (not entirely
sure whether this problem occurs just with files in subdirectories.
Possible.).

This nonsensical file persists in the listing until one does a manual
cvs update
outside of PCL-CVS.

I find this sort of annoying.

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-07-04 16:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-07-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Whenever a file gets deleted in the repository, and I do
> M-x cvs-examine RET /home/devel/emacs RET

> then the file gets listed as removed in the status display with
> additional `...' quote marks around it.

Hmm, I haven't seen this yet.  Can you show me the "*cvs*" buffer and the
corresponding " *cvs-tmp*" right after the offending cvs-examine command?

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-07-04 17:22 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-07-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's another annoyance:

(require 'uniquify)
(setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'forward)

Do (e.g.):

M-x cvs-examine RET ~/cvs/emacs RET
M-x cvs-examine RET ~/cvs/gnus RET

Now we will have these two buffers:     "emacs/*cvs*", "gnus/*cvs*"
this hidden buffer:                     " *cvs-tmp*"
and this non-hidden, annoying, buffer:  "gnus/ *cvs-tmp*"

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-07-04 18:31   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> Whenever a file gets deleted in the repository, and I do
>> M-x cvs-examine RET /home/devel/emacs RET
>
>> then the file gets listed as removed in the status display with
>> additional `...' quote marks around it.
>
> Hmm, I haven't seen this yet.  Can you show me the "*cvs*" buffer and the
> corresponding " *cvs-tmp*" right after the offending cvs-examine command?

Well, the *cvs* buffer shows with the files displayed as

         removed   `filename'

I can't show it right now, since I don't often delete files in CVS,
but I might the next time around.

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-07-07 15:40   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-07-07 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> and this non-hidden, annoying, buffer:  "gnus/ *cvs-tmp*"

Should be fixed now, thank you,

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-08-12 11:07   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-12 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> Whenever a file gets deleted in the repository, and I do
>> M-x cvs-examine RET /home/devel/emacs RET
>
>> then the file gets listed as removed in the status display with
>> additional `...' quote marks around it.
>
> Hmm, I haven't seen this yet.  Can you show me the "*cvs*" buffer and the
> corresponding " *cvs-tmp*" right after the offending cvs-examine command?

There you are: I don't understand how you can't see it.  Do
M-x cvs-status RET /your/working-copy RET

Move to one line showing "Removed", press "O".  Very annoying.  This
is the result; of course all the "Up-To-Date" marks are wrong.
Nothing has been updated.

*cvs*:

Repository : dak@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs
Module     : emacs
Working dir: /home/tmp/emacs/

In directory .:
Message: cvs [update aborted]: no such directory ``lisp/net'
new-dir     * Up-To-Date              1
new-dir     * Up-To-Date              gc
removed     * Up-To-Date              `lisp/net/zone-mode.el'
In directory admin:
new-dir     * Up-To-Date              admin/charsets
new-dir     * Up-To-Date              admin/unidata
In directory etc:
            * Up-To-Date              etc/ChangeLog
            * Up-To-Date              etc/NEWS
            * Up-To-Date              etc/TUTORIAL
In directory etc/images:
new-dir     * Up-To-Date              etc/images/lc
In directory lisp:
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/ChangeLog
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/avoid.el
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/facemenu.el
              Modified                lisp/help.el
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/x-dnd.el
In directory lisp/calc:
              Modified                lisp/calc/calc-poly.el
In directory lisp/emacs-lisp:
              Modified                lisp/emacs-lisp/authors.el
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/emacs-lisp/bindat.el
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el
In directory lisp/eshell:
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/eshell/em-glob.el
In directory lisp/gnus:
              Modified                lisp/gnus/gnus-move.el
In directory lisp/textmodes:
            * Up-To-Date              lisp/textmodes/dns-mode.el
              Modified                lisp/textmodes/reftex.el
In directory man:
            * Up-To-Date              man/ChangeLog
            * Up-To-Date              man/ack.texi
            * Up-To-Date              man/mule.texi
            * Up-To-Date              man/text.texi
In directory src:
            * Up-To-Date              src/ChangeLog
            * Up-To-Date              src/alloc.c
            * Up-To-Date              src/keyboard.c
            * Up-To-Date              src/keyboard.h
            * Up-To-Date              src/xselect.c
            * Up-To-Date              src/xterm.c
            * Up-To-Date              src/xterm.h

-- last cmd: cvs -f update -d -P src/xterm.h src/xterm.c src/xselect.c src/keyboard.h src/keyboard.c src/alloc.c src/ChangeLog man/text.texi man/mule.texi man/ack.texi man/ChangeLog lisp/textmodes/dns-mode.el lisp/eshell/em-glob.el lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el lisp/emacs-lisp/bindat.el lisp/x-dnd.el lisp/facemenu.el lisp/avoid.el lisp/ChangeLog etc/images/lc etc/TUTORIAL etc/NEWS etc/ChangeLog admin/unidata admin/charsets `lisp/net/zone-mode.el' gc 1 --

 *cvs-tmp*:

@ 2006-08-15 23:31     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-15 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Whenever a file gets deleted in the repository, and I do
>>> M-x cvs-examine RET /home/devel/emacs RET
>>
>>> then the file gets listed as removed in the status display with
>>> additional `...' quote marks around it.
>>
>> Hmm, I haven't seen this yet.  Can you show me the "*cvs*" buffer and the
>> corresponding " *cvs-tmp*" right after the offending cvs-examine command?
>
> There you are: I don't understand how you can't see it.  Do
> M-x cvs-status RET /your/working-copy RET
>
> Move to one line showing "Removed", press "O".  Very annoying.  This
> is the result; of course all the "Up-To-Date" marks are wrong.
> Nothing has been updated.

[...]

This particular problem gets fixed at my site with the following
patch:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-patch, Size: 670 bytes --]

*** pcvs-parse.el	02 May 2006 12:55:47 +0200	1.27
--- pcvs-parse.el	15 Aug 2006 08:42:38 +0200
***************
*** 285,291 ****
         (and
  	(cvs-or
  	 (cvs-match "warning: \\(.*\\) is not (any longer) pertinent$" (file 1))
! 	 (cvs-match "\\(.*\\) is no longer in the repository$" (file 1)))
  	(cvs-parsed-fileinfo
  	 (if dont-change-disc '(NEED-UPDATE . REMOVED) 'DEAD) file))

--- 285,291 ----
         (and
  	(cvs-or
  	 (cvs-match "warning: \\(.*\\) is not (any longer) pertinent$" (file 1))
! 	 (cvs-match "`\\(.*\\)' is no longer in the repository$" (file 1)))
  	(cvs-parsed-fileinfo
  	 (if dont-change-disc '(NEED-UPDATE . REMOVED) 'DEAD) file))

However, the vicinity of the patch looks like similar problems might
occur with other expressions.  Maybe `cvs-match' or a specific similar
routine created for this purpose should instead be made to strip
quoting character pairs (I would think it conceivable that some CVS
clients might use utf-8 quoting characters in appropriate locales),
and the general patterns should not specify quotes at all.

I have no knowledge of CVS clients and their quoting history, however,
so I have no idea whether that would be a sensible thing to do.

I can check in the above patch if nobody objects: it is, at least for
my CVS client, an improvement.  Stefan, can you run "strings" on your
client to see whether it would be the same with yours?  After all, you
claimed that you could not see the effect.

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-08-16  6:40       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-16  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> I have no knowledge of CVS clients and their quoting history, however,
> so I have no idea whether that would be a sensible thing to do.

> I can check in the above patch if nobody objects: it is, at least for
> my CVS client, an improvement.

The quotes were added in CVS 1.12.3:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/cvs/ccvs/src/classify.c?r1=1.29&r2=1.30

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-08-16  6:48         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-16  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I have no knowledge of CVS clients and their quoting history, however,
>> so I have no idea whether that would be a sensible thing to do.
>
>> I can check in the above patch if nobody objects: it is, at least for
>> my CVS client, an improvement.
>
> The quotes were added in CVS 1.12.3:
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/cvs/ccvs/src/classify.c?r1=1.29&r2=1.30

One could use either

`?\(.*?\)'?

or replace cvs-match by cvs-unquoted-match where appropriate, and
write that as mentioned previously.

* Re: Problem with PCL-CVS
@ 2006-08-17  3:48       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-08-17  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> ! 	 (cvs-match "\\(.*\\) is no longer in the repository$" (file 1)))
[...]
> ! 	 (cvs-match "`\\(.*\\)' is no longer in the repository$" (file 1)))

I see.  This particular patch is not good since it breaks on old-style
output, but it's better than nothing.