* Carbon Emacs won't start when installed in certain paths
@ 2007-05-22 15:57 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2007-05-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs- devel

There is still the bug that the Carbon port won't start up when
installed in a directory that contains non 7-bit ASCII characters,
such as "Développement".

For the release, I would suggest to at least document this in
PROBLEMS (see below).

I recall that Yamamoto Mitsuharu had been looking into this. Mr
Yamamoto, would you like me to test your patch posted to -bugs on May
10th, and if so, does this replace the earlier patches you posted for
this bug?

*** etc/PROBLEMS	22 May 2007 16:44:33 +0100	1.229
--- etc/PROBLEMS	22 May 2007 16:52:44 +0100
***************
*** 1836,1841 ****
--- 1836,1848 ----

   ** Mac OS X

+ *** Mac OS X (Carbon): Emacs won't start if installed in certain
paths.
+
+ Starting the application fails if Emacs is installed in directories
+ whose names contain non 7-bit ASCII characters (such as
+ "Développement"). The workaround is to move the Emacs.app application
+ bundle out of such directories.
+
   *** Mac OS X (Carbon): Environment Variables from dotfiles are
ignored.

   When starting Emacs from the Dock or the Finder on Mac OS X, the