* Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 11:26 joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-08-18 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Can I merge the ImageMagick branch to trunk now?
--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 12:31 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 12:26 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> Can I merge the ImageMagick branch to trunk now?

Does it support image editing for example converting to other formats? I
read the NEWS entry and it only says displaying more formats.

Thanks.
Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 12:38 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-18 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Can I merge the ImageMagick branch to trunk now?

Looking at "bzr diff -r ancestor:trunk", I see that you've fixed
most problems.  I still see a "let*\n" image-transform-properties, as
well as an ugly "))" on its own line in lisp/image-mode.el.  And also
there are comments using the form

   /* sadgewgf
      sfgsfg.
    */

whereas we use

   /* sadgewgf
      sfgsfg.  */

(with two spaces after the full-stop, of course).
And last but not least, the diff for src/image..c shows a lot of
unrelated changes, probably result of a "reindent the whole buffer" or
something like that.

So, once you've fixed those unimportant details, feel free to merge it,

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 13:16   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-08-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-08-18 12:26 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
>> Can I merge the ImageMagick branch to trunk now?
>
> Does it support image editing for example converting to other formats? I
> read the NEWS entry and it only says displaying more formats.

Imagemagick is only used as a library to load and display new image
formats, and provide a couple of simple display transforms, such as
scaling and rotation.

Image editing is not within the scope of the patch.

As a side-note I have begun some code integrating Inkscape and Emacs,
which I think is a potentialy rather good match, but that aproach is
orthogonal to the imagemagick branch.

--

@ 2010-08-18 13:18     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 14:16 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> Imagemagick is only used as a library to load and display new image
> formats, and provide a couple of simple display transforms, such as
> scaling and rotation.
>
> Image editing is not within the scope of the patch.
>
> As a side-note I have begun some code integrating Inkscape and Emacs,
> which I think is a potentialy rather good match, but that aproach is
> orthogonal to the imagemagick branch.

Thanks for that. Looks like a great feature to emacs ;)

Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 15:12     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-08-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Leo, joakim

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 15:16:44 joakim@verona.se wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> Imagemagick is only used as a library to load and display new image
> formats, and provide a couple of simple display transforms, such as
> scaling and rotation.

Both of these are extremely useful for doc-view.  Currently, the former
is done by reconverting all pages to smaller/bigger PNGs and the latter
is impossible at all.

I'm looking forward to your merge.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 15:59       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 16:12 +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Both of these are extremely useful for doc-view. Currently, the former
> is done by reconverting all pages to smaller/bigger PNGs and the
> latter is impossible at all.

Wow, I was just thinking about how preview-LaTeX can be made easier with
this new ability.

Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:06         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-18 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-08-18 16:12 +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Both of these are extremely useful for doc-view. Currently, the former
>> is done by reconverting all pages to smaller/bigger PNGs and the
>> latter is impossible at all.
>
> Wow, I was just thinking about how preview-LaTeX can be made easier with
> this new ability.

I come up with a complete blank.  Care to elaborate?

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:30           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 17:06 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Wow, I was just thinking about how preview-LaTeX can be made easier with
>> this new ability.
>
> I come up with a complete blank.  Care to elaborate?

For example, display pdfs directly. In remote editing LaTeX files I then
don't need to have gs installed on that machine as long as my local
emacs can display it.

Cheers,
Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:33             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-18 17:06 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Wow, I was just thinking about how preview-LaTeX can be made easier with
>>> this new ability.
>>
>> I come up with a complete blank.  Care to elaborate?
>
> For example, display pdfs directly. In remote editing LaTeX files I then
> don't need to have gs installed on that machine as long as my local
> emacs can display it.

But imagemagick can't display pdf, or? (Maybe a fixed picture of it,
but that is not very comfortable if you actually want to view the pdf
file.)

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:39               ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 17:33 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> For example, display pdfs directly. In remote editing LaTeX files I then
>> don't need to have gs installed on that machine as long as my local
>> emacs can display it.
>
> But imagemagick can't display pdf, or? (Maybe a fixed picture of it,
> but that is not very comfortable if you actually want to view the pdf
> file.)

According to http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php, pdf is
supported through Ghostscript.

Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:42                 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-18 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-18 17:33 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>> For example, display pdfs directly. In remote editing LaTeX files I then
>>> don't need to have gs installed on that machine as long as my local
>>> emacs can display it.
>>
>> But imagemagick can't display pdf, or? (Maybe a fixed picture of it,
>> but that is not very comfortable if you actually want to view the pdf
>> file.)
>
> According to http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php, pdf is
> supported through Ghostscript.

Thanks. Yes, but it produces an image. (Which may be what you want,
but you can not coinventiently read a pdf that way.)

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 16:50                   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 17:42 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> According to http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php, pdf is
>> supported through Ghostscript.
>
> Thanks. Yes, but it produces an image. (Which may be what you want,
> but you can not coinventiently read a pdf that way.)

But hopefully for the purpose of preview-latex, this is potentially
possible (pdf/ps,eps) -> svg.

Leo

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 17:49                     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-08-18 17:42 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>> According to http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php, pdf is
>>> supported through Ghostscript.
>>
>> Thanks. Yes, but it produces an image. (Which may be what you want,
>> but you can not coinventiently read a pdf that way.)
>
> But hopefully for the purpose of preview-latex, this is potentially
> possible (pdf/ps,eps) -> svg.

I still don't see the point.  You need Ghostscript either way.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Merge imagemagick to trunk?
@ 2010-08-18 19:15                       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-18 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2010-08-18 18:49 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> But hopefully for the purpose of preview-latex, this is potentially
>> possible (pdf/ps,eps) -> svg.
>
> I still don't see the point. You need Ghostscript either way.

Yeah, it doesn't sound too useful.

Leo