* Emacs leaves many .#file symlinks even after exiting from Emacs  (related to file-locking)
@ 2009-12-02  9:07 Ken H.
From: Ken H. @ 2009-12-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: karl

I cannot identify exactly under what conditions it occurs, but
Emacs (I'm using CVS emacs on 2009-09-11, but would probably
happen under CVS HEAD as well) leaves a lot of symlinks of the
form:

 .#file -> user_name@host_name.pid:boot_time

`filelock.c' is creating the symlink for file-locking purposes
but is failing to delete it.

Under my current directory consisting of 28 regular files,
I see three such instances:

  lrwxrwxrwx   1 ken   ken     25 Oct 22 17:07 .#foo -> ken@hori.22964
:1256147335
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 ken   ken     25 Dec  1 22:32 .#foo2 -> ken@hori.19787
:1259696496
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 ken   ken     25 Dec  1 22:39 .#foo3 -> ken@hori.19787
:1259696496

Is this a bug that happens to people other than myself?  Or is it
just me, who extensively use indirect buffers and work under
multiple frames?  Also, if any, how do I prevent Emacs from
creating such symlinks.

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs leaves many .#file symlinks even after exiting from Emacs (related to file-locking)
@ 2010-01-17 14:38 ` Ken Hori
From: Ken Hori @ 2010-01-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I received an email from someone who is also bothered by this
behavior (or should I call it a bug?).

Does anyone know how to prevent it?

@ 2010-01-17 16:37   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-17 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Hori; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I received an email from someone who is also bothered by this
> behavior (or should I call it a bug?).

It might be a bug, yes.  Please file it as one.