* Regression WRT newline?
@ 2016-02-09  7:25 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-02-09  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Command newline from simple.el has the following comment:

         ;; FIXME: For non-interactive uses, many calls actually just want
         ;; (insert "\n"), so maybe we should do just that, so as to avoid
         ;; the risk of filling or running abbrevs unexpectedly.

IIRC in earlier times, on windows for example an additional "\r" was
required.
Then using (newline) instead of simply (insert "\n") was recommended.
This would not help anymore.

Just to bring it to your attention,

Andreas

* Re: Regression WRT newline?
@ 2016-02-09  9:22 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-02-09  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Command newline from simple.el has the following comment:
>

>         ;; FIXME: For non-interactive uses, many calls actually just want
>         ;; (insert "\n"), so maybe we should do just that, so as to avoid
>         ;; the risk of filling or running abbrevs unexpectedly.
>
> IIRC in earlier times, on windows for example an additional "\r" was
> required.

The internal representation of a newline in Emacs is and always has been
"\n".  The external representation is controlled by the buffer's coding
system, and doesn't come into play until you save the buffer.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: Regression WRT newline?
@ 2016-02-09 15:32 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-02-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> IIRC in earlier times, on windows for example an additional "\r"
> was required.

That must have been before Emacs's times.

* Re: Regression WRT newline?
@ 2016-02-10  0:11   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-10  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

I was certainly the case in the 90s that Windows used \n\r to indicate
newline.  That's why Emacs had ...-windows coding systems that
translated \n in the buffer into \n\r in the file.

--
Dr Richard Stallman