From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>,
	 Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>,
	 Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: windows Emacs-version issue
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 09:18:48 -0400	[thread overview]

> I think it would be ideal to hear from other people who are using
> these binaries releases before we elect a change in naming these
> files; they have been consistent for quite some time. I was using them
> for years before I volunteered to help create them.

There's no need to rename.  It's only something to remember for next
time such a situation comes up.

> Finally, this isn't a circumstance that's likely to repeat.

It's something that happens rarely but it does happen occasionally.
It can happen for binary packages like the one you distribute, or for
the release tarballs (we've had release tarballs with a minor error in
some documentation files where there is similarly a tendency to think
"bah I'll just replace the tarball with the new one"), ...

Just remember to avoid replacing a distribution file with a different
one, and prefer to use a new name for the new file instead.  It avoids
all kinds of (minor, but annoying) issues.

Which name you use at that occasion is not nearly as important as the
fact that it's a different name.  IIRC we've use `emacs-NN.MMa.tar.gz`
in the past.