* movement bindings in c-mode
@ 2008-06-23  8:37 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-23  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: bug-cc-mode

In c-mode, I notice that C-M-a is bound to `c-beginning-of-defun',
overriding the global binding to `beginning-of-defun'.

The generic `beginning-of-defun' function offers some additional
functionality (in particular, it sets the mark before jumping), and
seems to work just as well.  We should generally try to avoid gratuitous
mode-specific rebinding of generic bindings that work properly.

I suppose this rebinding made sense in the past when the generic
mechanism was less capable, but does it make sense any more?

Any comments?

[A similar argument applies to other commands like c-end-of-defun]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'