* Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-16 22:53 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-16 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Before I install todos.el (the new version of Todo mode), I'd like to
request clarification about the copyright and author headers.
Currently, I've written them like this:

;; Copyright (C) 1997, 1999, 2001-2013  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Oliver Seidel <privat@os10000.net> (original: todo-mode.el)
;;	Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> (new: todos.el)

The copyright years are those of todo-mode.el.  My model here is js.el,
which was added to Emacs in 2009:

;; Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Karl Landstrom <karl.landstrom@brgeight.se>
;;         Daniel Colascione <dan.colascione@gmail.com>

In 2008 the sole author was Landstrom, and the file was named
javascript.el.  Likewise, the sole author of the original todo-mode.el
was Seidel.  One difference between the situation with js.el and that
with todos.el is that AFAIK javascript.el was never part of Emacs under
that name.  However, todos.el cannot be installed as todo-mode.el
because the latter is not being removed at this time but moved to
lisp/obsolete/, where it will still bear the same copyright header but
only Seidel in the author header.  Is it nevertheless acceptable to use
the above copyright header in todos.el?  (Regarding the parenthetical
additions to the author lines, these are intended to avoid confusion and
prevent mistaken attribution, similar to what's done in apropos.el.)

So is it ok to install todos.el with the above headers, and if not, what
should they be?

Steve Berman

* Re: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-17  0:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-17  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In 2008 the sole author was Landstrom, and the file was named
> javascript.el.  Likewise, the sole author of the original todo-mode.el
> was Seidel.  One difference between the situation with js.el and that
> with todos.el is that AFAIK javascript.el was never part of Emacs under
> that name.  However, todos.el cannot be installed as todo-mode.el
> because the latter is not being removed at this time but moved to
> lisp/obsolete/,

I thought the plan was to install your code as todo-mode.el (not
todos-mode.el).

> Is it nevertheless acceptable to use the above copyright header in
> todos.el?

The only important part, legally is the "copyright" part, which should
simply include the old years since (IIUC) the code actually derives from
it (tho not much of it remains, it wasn't all written from scratch).

The "author" part is just important for the sake of acknowledging the
contribution of people, so even if someone's code has been 100%
superseded it's still perfectly fine to include his name there.
But the most important message here is: it doesn't matter, and
also, there's no harm in keeping more people in the list than
really necessary.  So just keep Seidel in the list and forget about it.

> (Regarding the parenthetical additions to the author lines,
> these are intended to avoid confusion and prevent mistaken
> attribution, similar to what's done in apropos.el.)

Nobody cares.  We have a ChangeLog for those who want to know who
contributed what.

* Re: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-17  8:13   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:45:28 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> In 2008 the sole author was Landstrom, and the file was named
>> javascript.el.  Likewise, the sole author of the original todo-mode.el
>> was Seidel.  One difference between the situation with js.el and that
>> with todos.el is that AFAIK javascript.el was never part of Emacs under
>> that name.  However, todos.el cannot be installed as todo-mode.el
>> because the latter is not being removed at this time but moved to
>> lisp/obsolete/,
>
> I thought the plan was to install your code as todo-mode.el (not
> todos-mode.el).

There were three plans I asked about: (1) "simply replace the old
version", (2) "install the new version alongside the old version", and
(3), which you said you favored:

   >> - A third alternative is to install the new version as posted with the
   >>   new name and prefix in place of the old version and move that to
   >>   lisp/obsolete/, so people could still use it but would have more
   >>   incentive to use the new version.
   >
   > That sounds like the better solution.  Even better if the old and the
   > new code can be both in use at the same time (e.g. if you have
   > converted some of your todo files but not all).

It's fine with me to keep the name todo-mode.el for the new version and
use the "todo-" prefix, but then doesn't the obsoleted version have to
be renamed and re-prefixed?  If so, how about todo-mode-obs.el and
"todo-obs-"?  Or is the idea not to be able to have both versions loaded
at the same time, but to be able to switch between them?  (But if they
have the same name, the one in lisp/obsolete/ won't be found by `M-x
(load|find|locate)-library'.)

>> Is it nevertheless acceptable to use the above copyright header in
>> todos.el?
>
> The only important part, legally is the "copyright" part, which should
> simply include the old years since (IIUC) the code actually derives from
> it (tho not much of it remains, it wasn't all written from scratch).

Ok.

> The "author" part is just important for the sake of acknowledging the
> contribution of people, so even if someone's code has been 100%
> superseded it's still perfectly fine to include his name there.
> But the most important message here is: it doesn't matter, and
> also, there's no harm in keeping more people in the list than
> really necessary.  So just keep Seidel in the list and forget about it.

Ok.

>> (Regarding the parenthetical additions to the author lines,
>> these are intended to avoid confusion and prevent mistaken
>> attribution, similar to what's done in apropos.el.)
>
> Nobody cares.  We have a ChangeLog for those who want to know who
> contributed what.

Ok.

@ 2013-06-17 14:39     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-17 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I thought the plan was to install your code as todo-mode.el (not
>> todos-mode.el).
> There were three plans I asked about: (1) "simply replace the old
> version", (2) "install the new version alongside the old version", and
> (3), which you said you favored:

I misread.  What I want is to install the new code as todo-mode.el and
move the old code to obsolete.

> It's fine with me to keep the name todo-mode.el for the new version and
> use the "todo-" prefix, but then doesn't the obsoleted version have to
> be renamed and re-prefixed?

There are many different options for the old code.
I think the simplest is to rename the file to obsolete/otodo-mode.el
(but keep the same "todo-*" names in it).

> Or is the idea not to be able to have both versions loaded at the same
> time, but to be able to switch between them?

As discussed, I think it's OK if users can't use both at the same time.
It's better if they can, tho, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

* Re: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-17 22:33       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-17 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:39:40 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>>> I thought the plan was to install your code as todo-mode.el (not
>>> todos-mode.el).
>> There were three plans I asked about: (1) "simply replace the old
>> version", (2) "install the new version alongside the old version", and
>> (3), which you said you favored:
>
> I misread.  What I want is to install the new code as todo-mode.el and
> move the old code to obsolete.

Ok.

>> It's fine with me to keep the name todo-mode.el for the new version and
>> use the "todo-" prefix, but then doesn't the obsoleted version have to
>> be renamed and re-prefixed?
>
> There are many different options for the old code.
> I think the simplest is to rename the file to obsolete/otodo-mode.el
> (but keep the same "todo-*" names in it).

Ok.

>> Or is the idea not to be able to have both versions loaded at the same
>> time, but to be able to switch between them?
>
> As discussed, I think it's OK if users can't use both at the same time.
> It's better if they can, tho, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Ok.

I'll make the changes and install the new code in the next couple of
days.  If possible, I'll install the accompanying Info file at the same
time, but if that takes me longer to prepare, I'll go ahead with the
code first.

For the ChangeLog and the bzr log, is it sufficient to just write
something like "Update to new version, reimplementing or abandoning
almost all old code and adding much new code." or should I individually
list all reimplemented, removed and new functions, etc.?

@ 2013-06-18  0:52         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-18  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> For the ChangeLog and the bzr log, is it sufficient to just write
> something like "Update to new version, reimplementing or abandoning
> almost all old code and adding much new code." or should I individually
> list all reimplemented, removed and new functions, etc.?

The ChangeLog should describe how the new code relates to the old one
(i.e. list the functions/vars that were changed/removed).  For the new
vars and functions, I'm not sure it's useful to list them all.

* Re: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-20 14:59       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> What I want is to install the new code as todo-mode.el and
> move the old code to obsolete.
> [...]
> There are many different options for the old code.
> I think the simplest is to rename the file to obsolete/otodo-mode.el
> (but keep the same "todo-*" names in it).

Doing this broke the function that converts the old format to the new
one, but that turned out to have a salutary effect, because after
spending a long time trying in vain to fix that function while
maintaining its basic implementation (which in fact relied on the old
and new versions having different namespaces), I realized there's an
easier and better way.  So thanks for nudging me in that direction ;-).

> The ChangeLog should describe how the new code relates to the old one
> (i.e. list the functions/vars that were changed/removed).  For the new
> vars and functions, I'm not sure it's useful to list them all.

Here's the whole ChangeLog; if it's too much, please let me know how I
should shorten it.

2013-06-20  Stephen Berman  <stephen.berman@gmx.net>

	* obsolete/otodo-mode.el: Move and rename from calendar/todo-mode.el.

	* calendar/todo-mode.el: New version.
	(todo-add-category): Append new category to end of file and give
	it the highest number, instead of putting it at the beginningg and
	giving it 0.  Incorporate noninteractive functionality.
	(todo-forward-category): Adapt to 1-based category numbering.
	Allow skipping over archived categories.
	(todo-backward-category): Derive from todo-forward-category.
	(todo-backward-item, todo-forward-item): Make noninteractive and
	delegate interactive part to new commands.  Make sensitive to done items.
	(todo-categories): Make value an alist of category names and
	vectors of item counts.
	(todo-category-beg): Make a defconst.
	(todo-category-number): Use 1 instead of 0 as initial value.
	(todo-category-select): Make sensitive to overlays, optional item
	highlighting and done items.
	(todo-delete-item): Make sensitive to overlays and marked and done items.
	(todo-edit-item): Make sensitive to overlays and editing of
	date/time header optional.  Add format checks.
	(todo-edit-multiline): Rename to todo-edit-multiline-item.  Make a
	no-op if point is not on an item.  Advertise using todo-edit-quit.
	(todo-edit-mode): Make sensitive to new format, font-locking, and
	multiple todo files.
	(todo-insert-item, todo-insert-item-here): Derive from
	todo-basic-insert-item and extend functionality.
	(todo-item-end, todo-item-start): Make sensitive to done items.
	(todo-item-string): Don't return text properties.  Restore point.
	(todo-jump-to-category): Make sensitive to multiple todo files and
	todo archives.  Use extended category completion.
	(todo-lower-item, todo-raise-item): Rename to *-priority and
	derive from todo-set-item-priority.
	(todo-mode): Derive from special-mode.  Make sensitive to new
	format, font-locking and multiple todo files.  Make read-only.
	(todo-mode-map): Don't suppress digit keys, so they can supply
	prefix arguments.  Add many new key bindings.
	(todo-prefix): Insert as an overlay instead of file text.
	Change semantics from diary date expression to purely visual mark.
	(todo-print): Rename to todo-print-buffer.  Make buffer display
	features printable.  Remove option to restrict number of items
	printed.  Add option to print to file.
	(todo-print-function): Rename to todo-print-buffer-function.
	(todo-quit): Extend to handle exiting new todo modes.
	(todo-remove-item): Make sensitive to overlays.
	(todo-save): Extend to buffers of filtered items.
	(todo-show): Make sensitive to done items, multiple todo files and
	new todo modes.
	(todo-show-priorities): Rename to todo-top-priorities.
	Change semantics of value 0.
	(todo-top-priorities): Rename to todo-filter-top-priorities and
	extend functionality.
	(todo-save-top-priorities): Rename to todo-save-filtered-items-buffer
	and extend functionality to other types of filtered items.
	(todo-add-item-non-interactively, todo-ask-p, todo-cat-slct)
	(todo-category-end, todo-category-sep, todo-cats, todo-cmd-back)
	(todo-cmd-done, todo-cmd-edit, todo-cmd-forw, todo-cmd-inst)
	(todo-cmd-kill, todo-cmd-lowr, todo-cmd-next, todo-cmd-prev)
	(todo-cmd-rais, todo-cmd-save, todo-completing-read, todo-cp)
	(todo-edit-mode-hook, todo-entry-prefix-function)
	(todo-entry-timestamp-initials, todo-file-do, todo-file-done)
	(todo-file-item, todo-file-top, todo-header, todo-initial-setup)
	(todo-initials, todo-insert-threshold, todo-item-string-start)
	(todo-line-string, todo-mode-hook, todo-more-important-p)
	(todo-previous-answer, todo-previous-line, todo-print-priorities)
	(todo-remove-separator, todo-save-top-priorities-too)
	(todo-string-count-lines, todo-string-multiline-p)
	(todo-time-string-format, todo-tmp-buffer-name): Remove.
	(todo-add-file, todo-archive-done-item, todo-choose-archive)
	(todo-convert-legacy-files, todo-copy-item, todo-delete-category)
	(todo-edit-category-diary-inclusion)
	(todo-edit-category-diary-nonmarking, todo-edit-done-item-comment)
	(todo-edit-file, todo-edit-item-date-day)
	(todo-edit-item-date-day-name, todo-edit-item-date-from-calendar)
	(todo-edit-item-date-month, todo-edit-item-date-to-today)
	(todo-edit-item-date-year, todo-edit-item-diary-inclusion)
	(todo-edit-item-diary-nonmarking, todo-edit-item-header)
	(todo-edit-item-time, todo-edit-quit, todo-filter-diary-items)
	(todo-filter-diary-items-multifile, todo-filter-regexp-items)
	(todo-filter-regexp-items-multifile, todo-filter-top-priorities)
	(todo-filter-top-priorities-multifile, todo-find-archive)
	(todo-find-filtered-items-file, todo-go-to-source-item)
	(todo-insert-item-from-calendar, todo-item-done, todo-item-undone)
	(todo-jump-to-archive-category, todo-lower-category)
	(todo-mark-category, todo-marked-item-p, todo-merge-category)
	(todo-move-category, todo-move-item, todo-next-button)
	(todo-next-item, todo-padded-string, todo-powerset)
	(todo-previous-button, todo-previous-item)
	(todo-print-buffer-to-file, todo-raise-category)
	(todo-rename-category, todo-repair-categories-sexp, todo-search)
	(todo-set-category-number, todo-set-item-priority)
	(todo-set-top-priorities-in-category)
	(todo-set-top-priorities-in-file, todo-show-categories-table)
	(todo-sort-categories-alphabetically-or-numerically)
	(todo-sort-categories-by-archived, todo-sort-categories-by-diary)
	(todo-sort-categories-by-done, todo-sort-categories-by-todo)
	(todo-toggle-item-header, todo-toggle-item-highlighting)
	(todo-toggle-mark-item, todo-toggle-prefix-numbers)
	(todo-toggle-view-done-items, todo-toggle-view-done-only)
	(todo-unarchive-items, todo-unmark-category): New commands.
	(todo-absolute-file-name, todo-add-to-buffer-list)
	(todo-adjusted-category-label-length, todo-basic-edit-item-header)
	(todo-basic-insert-item, todo-category-completions)
	(todo-category-number, todo-category-string-matcher-1)
	(todo-category-string-matcher-2, todo-check-filtered-items-file)
	(todo-check-format, todo-clear-matches)
	(todo-comment-string-matcher, todo-convert-legacy-date-time)
	(todo-current-category, todo-date-string-matcher)
	(todo-define-insertion-command, todo-diary-expired-matcher)
	(todo-diary-goto-entry, todo-diary-item-p)
	(todo-diary-nonmarking-matcher, todo-display-as-todo-file)
	(todo-display-categories, todo-display-sorted, todo-done-item-p)
	(todo-done-item-section-p, todo-done-separator)
	(todo-done-string-matcher, todo-files, todo-filter-items)
	(todo-filter-items-1, todo-filter-items-filename, todo-find-item)
	(todo-gen-arglists, todo-get-count, todo-get-overlay, todo-indent)
	(todo-insert-category-line, todo-insert-item-from-calendar)
	(todo-insert-sort-button, todo-insert-with-overlays)
	(todo-insertion-command-name, todo-insertion-key-bindings)
	(todo-label-to-key, todo-longest-category-name-length)
	(todo-make-categories-list, todo-mode-external-set)
	(todo-mode-line-control, todo-modes-set-1, todo-modes-set-2)
	(todo-modes-set-3, todo-multiple-filter-files)
	(todo-nondiary-marker-matcher, todo-prefix-overlays)
	(todo-read-category, todo-read-date, todo-read-dayname)
	(todo-read-file-name, todo-read-time)
	(todo-reevaluate-category-completions-files-defcustom)
	(todo-reevaluate-default-file-defcustom)
	(todo-reevaluate-filelist-defcustoms)
	(todo-reevaluate-filter-files-defcustom)
	(todo-reset-and-enable-done-separator, todo-reset-comment-string)
	(todo-reset-done-separator, todo-reset-done-separator-string)
	(todo-reset-done-string, todo-reset-global-current-todo-file)
	(todo-reset-highlight-item, todo-reset-nondiary-marker)
	(todo-reset-prefix, todo-set-categories)
	(todo-set-date-from-calendar, todo-set-show-current-file)
	(todo-set-top-priorities, todo-short-file-name)
	(todo-show-current-file, todo-sort, todo-time-string-matcher)
	(todo-total-item-counts, todo-update-buffer-list)
	(todo-update-categories-display, todo-update-categories-sexp)
	(todo-update-count, todo-validate-name, todo-y-or-n-p):
	New functions.
	(todo-archive-mode, todo-categories-mode, todo-filtered-items-mode):
	New major modes.
	(todo-categories, todo-display, todo-edit, todo-faces)
	(todo-filtered): New defgroups.
	(todo-archived-only, todo-button, todo-category-string, todo-date)
	(todo-diary-expired, todo-done, todo-done-sep, todo-comment)
	(todo-mark, todo-nondiary, todo-prefix-string, todo-search)
	(todo-sorted-column, todo-time, todo-top-priority): New deffaces.
	(todo-add-item-if-new-category, todo-always-add-time-string)
	(todo-categories-align, todo-categories-archived-label)
	(todo-categories-category-label, todo-categories-diary-label)
	(todo-categories-done-label, todo-categories-number-separator)
	(todo-categories-todo-label, todo-categories-totals-label)
	(todo-category-completions-files, todo-completion-ignore-case)
	(todo-default-todo-file, todo-diary-nonmarking, todo-directory)
	(todo-done-separator-string, todo-done-string)
	(todo-files-function, todo-filter-done-items, todo-filter-files)
	(todo-highlight-item, todo-include-in-diary, todo-indent-to-here)
	(todo-initial-category, todo-initial-file, todo-item-mark)
	(todo-legacy-date-time-regexp, todo-mode-line-function)
	(todo-nondiary-marker, todo-number-prefix)
	(todo-print-buffer-function, todo-show-current-file)
	(todo-show-done-only, todo-show-first, todo-show-with-done)
	(todo-skip-archived-categories, todo-top-priorities-overrides)
	(todo-undo-item-omit-comment, todo-use-only-highlighted-region)
	(todo-visit-files-commands, todo-wrap-lines, todo-y-with-space):
	New defcustoms.
	(todo-category-done, todo-date-pattern, todo-date-string-start)
	(todo-diary-items-buffer, todo-done-string-start)
	(todo-filtered-items-buffer, todo-item-start)
	(todo-month-abbrev-array, todo-month-name-array)
	(todo-nondiary-end, todo-nondiary-start, todo-regexp-items-buffer)
	(todo-top-priorities-buffer): New defconsts.
	(todo-archive-mode-map, todo-archives, todo-categories-mode-map)
	(todo-categories-with-marks, todo-category-string-face)
	(todo-comment-face, todo-comment-string, todo-current-todo-file)
	(todo-date-face, todo-date-from-calendar, todo-descending-counts)
	(todo-diary-expired-face, todo-done-face, todo-done-sep-face)
	(todo-done-separator, todo-edit-buffer, todo-edit-mode-map)
	(todo-file-buffers, todo-files, todo-filtered-items-mode-map)
	(todo-font-lock-keywords, todo-global-current-todo-file)
	(todo-insertion-commands, todo-insertion-commands-arg-key-list)
	(todo-insertion-commands-args)
	(todo-insertion-commands-args-genlist)
	(todo-insertion-commands-names, todo-insertion-map)
	(todo-key-bindings-t, todo-key-bindings-t+a)
	(todo-key-bindings-t+a+f, todo-key-bindings-t+f, todo-mode-map)
	(todo-multiple-filter-files, todo-multiple-filter-files-widget)
	(todo-nondiary-face, todo-print-buffer, todo-time-face)
	(todo-visited): New variables.

* Re: Question about todos.el copyright and author headers
@ 2013-06-20 20:26         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Here's the whole ChangeLog; if it's too much, please let me know how I
> should shorten it.

Looks great, thanks!