* [Feature request] hope webjump.el can add tags searching support
@ 2021-01-21  4:45 Christopher Miles
From: Christopher Miles @ 2021-01-21  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I tried to email to <nwv@acm.org>, but email failed.

: <nwv@acm.org>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

So I emailed here. If this is wrong, I'm sorry about this in advance.

# ==============================================================================

Recently I migrated web browser bookmarks into your writted Emacs extension
webjump.el. It's really great. I like it very much. I used to use another
extension "engine-mode.el".

I found webjump need one improvement for bookmarks searching. It's "tags". Hope
can webjump can support tags searching. Currently webjump only search bookmark
names is very limited for filtering lot of bookmarks.

User can add tags in bookmarks definition like this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq webjump-sites
      '(;; Search Engines
        ("Google" . ([simple-query "google.com" "https://www.google.com.tw/search?safe=off&q=" ""]
                     ("search engine" "google")))
        ("DuckDuckGo" . ([simple-query "duckduckgo.com" "https://duckduckgo.com/?q=" ""]
                         ("search engine" "privacy")))
        ("DogeDoge" . ([simple-query "dogedoge.com" "https://www.dogedoge.com/results?q=" ""]
                       ("search engine")))
        ("Blekko" . ([simple-query "blekko.com" "https://blekko.com/#?q=" ""]
                     ("search engine" "vertical")))
        ("Bing" . ([simple-query "bing.com" "http://cn.bing.com/search?q=" ""]
                   ("search engine" "Microsoft")))
        ;; Q&A
        ("Stack Exchange" . ([simple-query "stackexchange.com" "http://stackexchange.com/search?q=" ""]
                             ("Q&A" "programming")))
        ("Stack Overflow" . ([simple-query "stackoverflow.com" "https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=" ""]
                             ("Q&A" "programming")))
        ("Quora" . ([simple-query "quora.com" "https://www.quora.com/search?q=" ""]
                    ("Q&A")))
        ))
#+end_src

The upper code is just an example. Of course you have your design for the data
structure for webjump.

Hope to see this improvement.

Regards,

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Feature request] hope webjump.el can add tags searching support
@ 2021-01-21  5:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-21  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Miles; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I tried to email to <nwv@acm.org>, but email failed.
> : <nwv@acm.org>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

Looks like he hasn't been maintaining this file in the last 20 years or so.

> So I emailed here. If this is wrong, I'm sorry about this in advance.

Yes, this is the right place.

> Hope to see this improvement.

I suspect that the best way to get this feature is if you write
it yourself.  We'd be happy to accept a patch for it from you.
You might also decide to be the maintainer of that file.

* Re: [Feature request] hope webjump.el can add tags searching support
@ 2021-01-22  4:35   ` Christopher Miles
From: Christopher Miles @ 2021-01-22  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Christopher Miles, Emacs Devel

>> I tried to email to <nwv@acm.org>, but email failed.
>> : <nwv@acm.org>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied
>
> Looks like he hasn't been maintaining this file in the last 20 years or so.
>
>> So I emailed here. If this is wrong, I'm sorry about this in advance.
>
> Yes, this is the right place.
>
>> Hope to see this improvement.
>
> I suspect that the best way to get this feature is if you write
> it yourself.  We'd be happy to accept a patch for it from you.
> You might also decide to be the maintainer of that file.

Great, I'd like to take a try.

Hmm, this is Emacs built-in package, do I need to do some special work to
contribute? Or just normal as I contribute Emacs GNU ELPA? Because reading GNU
websites and words bumped my brain. I try to avoid complex stuff.

--

@ 2021-01-22 13:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Miles; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> Hmm, this is Emacs built-in package, do I need to do some special work to
> contribute?

Nothing unusual: send patches ;-)