* buff-menu preloaded?
@ 2008-11-21  5:18 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-11-21  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Does anybody know why is buff-menu.el preloaded?
I'm tempted to autoload it instead.  There are several alternatives,
plus not all users use a buffer-list at all, so I'm not convinced that
it'll be used in most Emacs sessions.

* Re: buff-menu preloaded?
@ 2008-11-28  5:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-11-28  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Does anybody know why is buff-menu.el preloaded?
> I'm tempted to autoload it instead.  There are several alternatives,
> plus not all users use a buffer-list at all, so I'm not convinced that
> it'll be used in most Emacs sessions.

Any objection to autoloading it rather than preloading it?

* Re: buff-menu preloaded?
@ 2008-11-28 15:39   ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2008-11-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

I think buff-menu.el defines the major mode used by C-x C-b.  If so,
that's why I made it preloaded: practically everyone uses C-x C-b
often, or at least I expected so.  Thus, autoloading that mode would
save little.

If there are a substantial fraction of users that never use C-x C-b,
then maybe autoloading that file would gain something.

* Re: buff-menu preloaded?
@ 2008-11-28 16:07     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-11-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I think buff-menu.el defines the major mode used by C-x C-b.  If so,
> that's why I made it preloaded: practically everyone uses C-x C-b
> often, or at least I expected so.  Thus, autoloading that mode would
> save little.

Yes, that was the expectation indeed.

> If there are a substantial fraction of users that never use C-x C-b,
> then maybe autoloading that file would gain something.

That's my impression.