From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: dropped 4th arg from all-completions
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:09:39 -0400	[thread overview]

> Your "acceptance" is hollow - bad faith.  Emacs does not raise an
> error, but it does not respect the arg.

IIRC That would be a bug.  Please provide a recipe.

>> > I do not understand why the feature of ignoring candidates
>> > that start with a space was removed.
>> It doesn't have its place in `all-completions' (which is an internal
>> function, and hence not directly related to any UI feature).
> I disagree that it is an internal function.

Internal in the sense that it's used by completion code to provide the
UI, so its effect does not directly affect the end user.

> No proposal for the change. *No reason* given. No discussion.

AFAIK it was introduced for buffer completion and just happened to have
pretty much no effect on other forms of completions (because completion
candidates that start with a space are extremely rare).  Nowadays,
buffer completion provides the same feature in a different way, so this
arg ends up being completely unused.

In any case, I did give you the reason in the previous message:

   You can get the same result by changing the completion table instead, or
   by changing the `predicate'.  These approaches also have the advantage
   of being a lot more flexible.

And indeed AFAIK it's completely unused inside Emacs right now (and was
barely used, in an inconsistent way, and mostly by accident only) in
versions before I messed with it.

> When will you change the name from Emacs to Monnier?

Any time now,