* define-derived-mode runs parent mode hook after evaluating body
@ 2007-07-20  9:00 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-07-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A subtle bug with `define-derived-mode' I just met with
`change-log-mode'.  The latter's definition goes as ...

(define-derived-mode change-log-mode text-mode "Change Log"
   "..."
   (setq left-margin 8
	fill-column 74

...but in my .emacs I have:

(add-hook
  'text-mode-hook
  '(lambda () (setq fill-column 72)))

Consequently, my Change Log buffers have a `fill-column' of 72 which is
not really desirable.  I obviously don't have any intention to check
which of the major modes I eventually use derive from text-mode and add
the appropriate hooks there.

Is it really useful/needed to delay the hook of the parent mode in a
derived mode until after evaluating the body?