* comment-dwim and indentation
@ 2007-09-14 22:06 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-14 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

comment-dwim is great, it has one wrinkle though: it places the
comments in column 0. So if one comments out a region in a C function
and then reindents the function, all the comments will be indented.

Wouldn't it be better if comment-dwim would try to put comments at the
right indentation level so that reindenting would become an nop?
(I don't know how feasible this would be, but asking doesn't hurt :-)

* Re: comment-dwim and indentation
@ 2007-09-14 22:26 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-09-14 23:06 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> comment-dwim is great, it has one wrinkle though: it places the
> comments in column 0. So if one comments out a region in a C function
> and then reindents the function, all the comments will be indented.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if comment-dwim would try to put comments at the
> right indentation level so that reindenting would become an nop?
> (I don't know how feasible this would be, but asking doesn't hurt :-)

I agree. It would be much better this way.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html

* Re: comment-dwim and indentation
@ 2007-09-15  1:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-15  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> comment-dwim is great, it has one wrinkle though: it places the
> comments in column 0.

C-h v comment-style RET

        Stefan

PS: This issue of "comments in column 0" was one of the original motivation
for writing newcomment.el.  You'll notice that every style other than the
default one addresses your request.  The default style was added late in
response to Richard who insisted that "comments in column 0" should be the
default style, which partly defeated my efforts since very few people know
of comment-style.

* Re: comment-dwim and indentation
@ 2007-09-15  7:33   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-15  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-09-15 02:23 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> comment-dwim is great, it has one wrinkle though: it places the
>> comments in column 0.
>
> C-h v comment-style RET
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: This issue of "comments in column 0" was one of the original motivation
> for writing newcomment.el.  You'll notice that every style other than the
> default one addresses your request.  The default style was added late in
> response to Richard who insisted that "comments in column 0" should be the
> default style, which partly defeated my efforts since very few people know
> of comment-style.

I think the default style should be 'indent.