* emacs bzr and git-bzr
@ 2010-01-05 13:44 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2010-01-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Is there a way to use one of the "git-bzr" scripts out there that's
safe and consistent with the way we want to use bzr for emacs
development?

> git-bzr: a bidirectional git - bazaar gateway
>
> This script allows you to add bazaar repositories as git branches in
> your
> git repository. After that, you can fetch the Bazaar repo, make some
> changes, and push it back into Bazaar.

The ones I've looked at seem to use "git fast-export | bzr fast-
import" when pushing things from git back into bzr.

It seems likely that git-bzr could be used to push back into a private
bzr development branch, and then "bzr merge" used to pull in changes
from there.  But then it looks like I've also got to explicitly manage
pulling changes down from upstream using both bzr and git commands;
and if I try to push something upstream and find upstream has changed,
might I have to manage the (possibly non-trivial) re-merging in bzr
instead of git where I'd be more comfortable and where I already have
a bunch of work in progress?

I'd be more interested in a setup where git-bzr can cause things to be
pushed back into the FSF bzr repository directly, errorring out when
the upstream has changed so that a new merge in needed, or ideally if
I attempt a "wrong-way" (left-vs-right-parent) merge, etc.  Kind of
like how git-svn manages all the subversion access internally, and
lets me fix things in git when necessary.  Is such a workflow possible
with git-bzr?

Ken

* Re: emacs bzr and git-bzr
@ 2010-01-05 15:26 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Is there a way to use one of the "git-bzr" scripts out there that's safe and
> consistent with the way we want to use bzr for emacs  development?

I'd ask on a git-bzr list rather than here,

* Re: emacs bzr and git-bzr
@ 2010-01-05 17:07   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2010-01-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 16:26, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Is there a way to use one of the "git-bzr" scripts out there that's safe and
>> consistent with the way we want to use bzr for emacs  development?
>
> I'd ask on a git-bzr list rather than here,

There is no such list as far as I can tell. And there is not one such script but
multiple [1] competing ones all not very flexible. I have used one of the bash
version of the script in the past and started fixing it and decided it was not
worth it. In it's current form it adds absolutely nothing but restrictions, and
would have to be completely rewritten.

Of course it would be nice if someone wrote a better version, comparable to
e.g. git-svn. I might work on it in a few weeks but if someone else wants to
give it a shot I would be more than happy. You should probably start by
looking at git-svn which is written in perl.

git-bzr won't work for what you (Ken) would like to use it because (a) it does
not rebase your git branch (instead you have to maintain (rebase) your own
branch which can not be the branch used for importing (I believe)) and (b) it
can only we used to pull and push from a local bzr repository (so git-bzr would
not hide bzr from you as it would still be needed to push upstream.

git-bzr could be used for "emacs bzr" but it wouldn't be as simple as running
one command as it is with git-svn.

-- Jonas

[1] http://github.com/pieter/git-bzr/network (is there another version I am not
    aware of?)

* Re: emacs bzr and git-bzr
@ 2010-01-06 15:19     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2010-01-06 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:07, Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
> Of course it would be nice if someone wrote a better version,
> comparable to
> e.g. git-svn. I might work on it in a few weeks but if someone else
> wants to

Sounds great! :-)  I'm pretty sure I won't have time to dig into it
myself right now.  Nor am I familiar enough with either tool yet to do
it very effectively.

> git-bzr won't work for what you (Ken) would like to use it because
> (a) it does
> not rebase your git branch (instead you have to maintain (rebase)
> your own
> branch which can not be the branch used for importing (I believe))
> and (b) it
> can only we used to pull and push from a local bzr repository (so
> git-bzr would
> not hide bzr from you as it would still be needed to push upstream.

Yes, it looks like access to the remote repo would have to be done
separately, with bzr.  I'd be okay with rebasing in git manually, and
just needing a couple of simple bzr commands, if I could arrange for
all the "serious" work to be done in git with my existing repo.

There's also the issue of making sure the workflow follows what's
being recommended for bzr in terms of the "left parent vs right
parent" history issue.  Making it too easy to push a merge into the
main bzr repo may not be ideal, if it's going to mess things up.
Perhaps the emacs case is uncommon among bzr projects in that regard.
Or maybe I'm just being overly cautious since I don't know bzr well
enough yet to be confident of getting it right through some means
other than the recommended workflows...

> git-bzr could be used for "emacs bzr" but it wouldn't be as simple
> as running
> one command as it is with git-svn.

Yeah, that's probably too much to hope for. :-)

Ken