* adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-13  7:39 joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-01-13  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

I have some local Emacs branches I maintain in git:

  xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
  imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
  filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
  windowgroups  - group emacs windows together

It would be interesting to share this work in the central bzr repo. How
would I do that? Or shouldn't I?

I can switch to bzr if thats necessary.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-13  8:43 ` Óscar Fuentes
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I have some local Emacs branches I maintain in git:
>
>   xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
>   imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
>   filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
>   windowgroups  - group emacs windows together
>
> It would be interesting to share this work in the central bzr repo. How
> would I do that? Or shouldn't I?

The people who made the CVS -> git -> bzr conversion are the right ones
to answer this, but possibly some reading of `bzr help fast-import' will
be very useful to you.

As for sharing your branches on the central bzr repo, well, one of the
nicest features of dVCSs is that there is no central repo. That's just
an agreement among developers. You can share from Launchpad or from your
own machine and it will be as useful as if you were shraring from
Savannah, so you don't need to obtain permission from the Emacs
administrators to effectively share your branches with others.

IMHO, the branches located on Savannah either shall be restricted to a
few "very important" ones or open the repo for anyone who wishes to put
his branch there. A middle point makes no sense. Personally, I'll prefer
the "only very important branches" approach.

@ 2010-01-13  8:55 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-01-13  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

joakim@verona.se writes:

 > I have some local Emacs branches I maintain in git:
 >
 >   xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
 >   imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
 >   filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
 >   windowgroups  - group emacs windows together
 >
 > It would be interesting to share this work in the central bzr repo. How
 > would I do that?

If you can provide a public git repository, there is a bzr-git
extension which allows people to check out from a git repository using
bzr.

 > I can switch to bzr if thats necessary.

That depends on whether you use git features, like colocated branches,
commits staged in the index, and rebasing a lot.  If you don't, it's
probably easier all around to switch (but I would recommend using
Launchpad to host your branches until Savannah switches to bzr+ssh
protocol).

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-13 12:17 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-01-13 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

      xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
      imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
      filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
      windowgroups  - group emacs windows together

Should any of these programs be added to Emacs?

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-13 13:13   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-01-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>       xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
>       imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
>       filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
>       windowgroups  - group emacs windows together
>
> Should any of these programs be added to Emacs?

That is my long term aim. If they should actually be included is a matter of
debate of course.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-13 21:31 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-01-13 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I have some local Emacs branches I maintain in git:
>
>   xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
>   imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
>   filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
>   windowgroups  - group emacs windows together
>
> It would be interesting to share this work in the central bzr repo. How
> would I do that? Or shouldn't I?
>
> I can switch to bzr if thats necessary.

I haven't had time to properly think about this yet.

My understanding is that there's negligible cost to adding multiple bzr
branches to the central repo (in terms of, say, server resources or bzr
log output).  Is that right?  If so, I guess it won't hurt to start
making branches for the features lined up for Emacs 24 (which we'll
begin concentrating on in a couple months, once 23.2 draws closer to
release).

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-13 22:44   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-13 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: joakim, emacs-devel

>My understanding is that there's negligible cost to adding multiple bzr
>branches to the central repo (in terms of, say, server resources or bzr
>log output).  Is that right?  If so, I guess it won't hurt to start
>making branches for the features lined up for Emacs 24 (which we'll
>begin concentrating on in a couple months, once 23.2 draws closer to
>release).

If they're all in a shared repository without working trees on Savannah,
(which I believe to be the case), then branches are very cheap, yes.

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-14  1:21     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-01-14  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: Chong Yidong, joakim, emacs-devel

Karl Fogel writes:
 > Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:
 > >My understanding is that there's negligible cost to adding multiple bzr
 > >branches to the central repo (in terms of, say, server resources or bzr
 > >log output).  Is that right?  If so, I guess it won't hurt to start
 > >making branches for the features lined up for Emacs 24 (which we'll
 > >begin concentrating on in a couple months, once 23.2 draws closer to
 > >release).
 >
 > If they're all in a shared repository without working trees on Savannah,
 > (which I believe to be the case), then branches are very cheap, yes.

Caveat: Joakim must have branched from one of the branches in the
shared repository.  Since his branches are fairly old AIUI, that
probably is too much to hope for as a side effect of the CVS->git->bzr
process.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to preserve his git
history, but if he doesn't care much about that (presumably it's in
a ChangeLog or he can generate one from git log), the branch-from-
Emacs-of-Christmas-present-with-One-Big-Patch approach isn't too bad
for moderate-sized, focused changes like the ones he mentions.

* Re: adding branches to bzr?
@ 2010-01-14  4:29   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-14  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: joakim, emacs-devel

> I haven't had time to properly think about this yet.
> My understanding is that there's negligible cost to adding multiple bzr
> branches to the central repo (in terms of, say, server resources or bzr
> log output).  Is that right?  If so, I guess it won't hurt to start
> making branches for the features lined up for Emacs 24 (which we'll
> begin concentrating on in a couple months, once 23.2 draws closer to
> release).

I'd tend to agree.  We could create a subdirectory for working branches
where people could install their work in progress when they need to
share them.  Admittedly, if I had such a branch, I'd put it elsewhere to
avoid the sftp overhead.

But Stephen's point is also relevant: we want those branches to be
"clean" in the sense that they should be based on the current Bzr
repository, so branches that started elsewhere would need to be rebased
before installing them.