* IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-07  9:04 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-07  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I like the new find-file behavior with the default setting of
`confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer', because I'm a bad but fast
typist. ;-)

I use ido-mode, but that doesn't respect this variable and opens a new
file/buffer without any confirmation, even if the last command was a
completion command.  It would be great if the ido commands would behave
like the standard find-file and switch-to-buffer commands.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-07 11:38 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-07 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Hi all,
>
> I like the new find-file behavior with the default setting of
> `confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer', because I'm a bad but fast
> typist. ;-)
>
> I use ido-mode, but that doesn't respect this variable and opens a new
> file/buffer without any confirmation, even if the last command was a
> completion command.  It would be great if the ido commands would behave
> like the standard find-file and switch-to-buffer commands.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Does this patch give the desired result?

*** ido.el.~1.155.~	2009-01-05 16:30:50.000000000 +0100
--- ido.el	2009-05-07 13:36:09.000000000 +0200
***************
*** 1803,1812 ****
  DEFAULT if given is the default item to start with.
  If REQUIRE-MATCH is non-nil, an existing file must be selected.
  If INITIAL is non-nil, it specifies the initial input string."
-   ;; Ido does not implement the `confirm' and
-   ;; `confirm-after-completion' values of REQUIRE-MATCH.
-   (if (memq require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion))
-       (setq require-match nil))
    (let
        ((ido-cur-item item)
         (ido-entry-buffer (current-buffer))
--- 1803,1808 ----
***************
*** 2069,2075 ****
         ((and require-match
  	     (not (if ido-directory-too-big
  		      (file-exists-p (concat ido-current-directory ido-final-text))
! 		    (ido-existing-item-p))))
  	(error "Must specify valid item"))

         (t
--- 2065,2075 ----
         ((and require-match
  	     (not (if ido-directory-too-big
  		      (file-exists-p (concat ido-current-directory ido-final-text))
! 		    (ido-existing-item-p)))
! 	     (cond
! 	      ((memq require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion))
! 	       (not (y-or-n-p (format "Create '%s'? " ido-final-text))))
! 	      (t t)))
  	(error "Must specify valid item"))

         (t
***************
*** 2158,2164 ****
  	   (ido-current-directory nil)
  	   (ido-directory-nonreadable nil)
  	   (ido-directory-too-big nil)
! 	   (buf (ido-read-internal 'buffer (or prompt "Buffer: ") 'ido-buffer-history default nil initial)))

        ;; Choose the buffer name: either the text typed in, or the head
        ;; of the list of matches
--- 2158,2166 ----
  	   (ido-current-directory nil)
  	   (ido-directory-nonreadable nil)
  	   (ido-directory-too-big nil)
! 	   (require-match (confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer))
! 	   (buf (ido-read-internal 'buffer (or prompt "Buffer: ") 'ido-buffer-history default
! 				   require-match initial)))

        ;; Choose the buffer name: either the text typed in, or the head
        ;; of the list of matches
***************
*** 2195,2204 ****
  	  (ido-visit-buffer buf method t)))

         ;; buffer doesn't exist
!        ((eq ido-create-new-buffer 'never)
  	(message "No buffer matching `%s'" buf))

         ((and (eq ido-create-new-buffer 'prompt)
  	     (not (y-or-n-p (format "No buffer matching `%s', create one? " buf))))
  	nil)

--- 2197,2208 ----
  	  (ido-visit-buffer buf method t)))

         ;; buffer doesn't exist
!        ((and (eq ido-create-new-buffer 'never)
! 	     (null require-match))
  	(message "No buffer matching `%s'" buf))

         ((and (eq ido-create-new-buffer 'prompt)
+ 	     (null require-match)
  	     (not (y-or-n-p (format "No buffer matching `%s', create one? " buf))))
  	nil)

***************
*** 2307,2313 ****
  					    (or prompt "Find file: ")
  					    'ido-file-history
  					    (and (eq method 'alt-file) buffer-file-name)
! 					    nil initial))))

        ;; Choose the file name: either the text typed in, or the head
        ;; of the list of matches
--- 2311,2317 ----
  					    (or prompt "Find file: ")
  					    'ido-file-history
  					    (and (eq method 'alt-file) buffer-file-name)
! 					    (confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer) initial))))

        ;; Choose the file name: either the text typed in, or the head
        ;; of the list of matches
***************
*** 2681,2686 ****
--- 2685,2691 ----
    "Exit minibuffer, but make sure we have a match if one is needed."
    (interactive)
    (if (and (or (not ido-require-match)
+ 	       (memq ido-require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion))
                 (ido-existing-item-p))
             (not ido-incomplete-regexp))
        (exit-minibuffer)))

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-07 12:42   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-05-07 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2009-05-07 12:38 +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I like the new find-file behavior with the default setting of
>> `confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer', because I'm a bad but fast
>> typist. ;-)
>>
>> I use ido-mode, but that doesn't respect this variable and opens a new
>> file/buffer without any confirmation, even if the last command was a
>> completion command.  It would be great if the ido commands would behave
>> like the standard find-file and switch-to-buffer commands.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Tassilo
>>

> Does this patch give the desired result?

I reported a bug related to this.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/107007/focus=107013

Could you see if the fix there is still needed?

Thanks.
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.

               www.git-scm.com
    git - the one true version control system

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-07 19:44   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-07 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

Hi Kim,

>> I use ido-mode, but that doesn't respect this variable and opens a
>> new file/buffer without any confirmation, even if the last command
>> was a completion command.  It would be great if the ido commands
>> would behave like the standard find-file and switch-to-buffer
>> commands.
>
> Does this patch give the desired result?

Basically yes, but I like the standard visual feedback and usage much
better, e.g. no y-or-n-p but a [confirm] after the minibuffer input and
another RET finds the nonexistent file or buffer.  This is not
disturbing at all, while the y-or-n-p is: No matter my decision, I
always have to move fingers to either y or n.

@ 2009-05-08 10:25     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-08 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Does this patch give the desired result?
>
> Basically yes, but I like the standard visual feedback and usage much
> better, e.g. no y-or-n-p but a [confirm] after the minibuffer input and
> another RET finds the nonexistent file or buffer.  This is not
> disturbing at all, while the y-or-n-p is: No matter my decision, I
> always have to move fingers to either y or n.

I see - and agree.  Try the following patch instead:

*** ido.el.~1.155.~	2009-01-05 16:30:50.000000000 +0100
--- ido.el	2009-05-08 12:22:33.000000000 +0200
***************
*** 768,774 ****
    :type '(choice string (const nil))
    :group 'ido)

! (defcustom ido-decorations '( "{" "}" " | " " | ..." "[" "]" " [No match]" " [Matched]" " [Not readable]" " [Too big]")
    "List of strings used by ido to display the alternatives in the minibuffer.
  There are 10 elements in this list:
  1st and 2nd elements are used as brackets around the prospect list,
--- 768,774 ----
    :type '(choice string (const nil))
    :group 'ido)

! (defcustom ido-decorations '( "{" "}" " | " " | ..." "[" "]" " [No match]" " [Matched]" " [Not readable]" " [Too big]" " [Confirm]")
    "List of strings used by ido to display the alternatives in the minibuffer.
  There are 10 elements in this list:
  1st and 2nd elements are used as brackets around the prospect list,
***************
*** 779,785 ****
  7th element is the string displayed when there are no matches, and
  8th element is displayed if there is a single match (and faces are not used),
  9th element is displayed when the current directory is non-readable,
! 10th element is displayed when directory exceeds `ido-max-directory-size'."
    :type '(repeat string)
    :group 'ido)

--- 779,786 ----
  7th element is the string displayed when there are no matches, and
  8th element is displayed if there is a single match (and faces are not used),
  9th element is displayed when the current directory is non-readable,
! 10th element is displayed when directory exceeds `ido-max-directory-size',
! 11th element is displayed to confirm creating new file or buffer."
    :type '(repeat string)
    :group 'ido)

***************
*** 1082,1087 ****
--- 1083,1091 ----
  ;; Non-nil if matching file must be selected.
  (defvar ido-require-match)

+ ;; Non-nil if we should add [confirm] to prompt
+ (defvar ido-show-confirm-message)
+
  ;; Stores a temporary version of the file list being created.
  (defvar ido-temp-list)

***************
*** 1803,1812 ****
  DEFAULT if given is the default item to start with.
  If REQUIRE-MATCH is non-nil, an existing file must be selected.
  If INITIAL is non-nil, it specifies the initial input string."
-   ;; Ido does not implement the `confirm' and
-   ;; `confirm-after-completion' values of REQUIRE-MATCH.
-   (if (memq require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion))
-       (setq require-match nil))
    (let
        ((ido-cur-item item)
         (ido-entry-buffer (current-buffer))
--- 1807,1812 ----
***************
*** 1829,1834 ****
--- 1829,1835 ----
         (ido-case-fold ido-case-fold)
         (ido-enable-prefix ido-enable-prefix)
         (ido-enable-regexp ido-enable-regexp)
+        (ido-show-confirm-message nil)
         )

      (ido-setup-completion-map)
***************
*** 2067,2072 ****
--- 2068,2074 ----

         ;; Handling the require-match must be done in a better way.
         ((and require-match
+ 	     (not (memq require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion)))

--- 2160,2168 ----

--- 2199,2210 ----

--- 2313,2319 ----

--- 2687,2698 ----
    "Exit minibuffer, but make sure we have a match if one is needed."
    (interactive)
    (if (and (or (not ido-require-match)
+ 	       (if (memq ido-require-match '(confirm confirm-after-completion))
+ 		   (if (or (eq ido-cur-item 'dir)
+ 			   (eq last-command this-command))
+ 		       t
+ 		     (setq ido-show-confirm-message t)
+ 		     nil))
                 (ido-existing-item-p))
             (not ido-incomplete-regexp))
        (exit-minibuffer)))
***************
*** 4398,4403 ****
--- 4410,4416 ----
  		    minibuffer-completion-table
  		    minibuffer-completion-predicate
  		    (not minibuffer-completion-confirm))))
+ 	  (setq ido-show-confirm-message nil)
  	  (ido-trace "inf" inf)
  	  (insert inf))
  	))))
***************
*** 4430,4435 ****
--- 4443,4450 ----

      (cond ((null comps)
  	   (cond
+ 	    (ido-show-confirm-message
+ 	     (or (nth 11 ido-decorations) " [Confirm]"))
  	    (ido-directory-nonreadable
  	     (or (nth 8 ido-decorations) " [Not readable]"))
  	    (ido-directory-too-big

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-08 10:57       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

Hi Kim,

>> Basically yes, but I like the standard visual feedback and usage much
>> better, e.g. no y-or-n-p but a [confirm] after the minibuffer input
>> and another RET finds the nonexistent file or buffer.  This is not
>> disturbing at all, while the y-or-n-p is: No matter my decision, I
>> always have to move fingers to either y or n.
>
> I see - and agree.  Try the following patch instead:

Yes, this is much better.  But there's one difference with the standard
behavior.  Ido always wants a confirmation if the file or buffer doesn't
exist.  The default setting of confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer is
after-completion, and then you are asked only to confirm if the last
command was a completion command.  The current ido behavior equivalent
to setting this variable to t (which I do anyway).  But probably ido
should be as compatible with the standard behavior as far as possible.

@ 2009-05-08 22:53         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-08 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> Hi Kim,
>
>>> Basically yes, but I like the standard visual feedback and usage much
>>> better, e.g. no y-or-n-p but a [confirm] after the minibuffer input
>>> and another RET finds the nonexistent file or buffer.  This is not
>>> disturbing at all, while the y-or-n-p is: No matter my decision, I
>>> always have to move fingers to either y or n.
>>
>> I see - and agree.  Try the following patch instead:
>
> Yes, this is much better.  But there's one difference with the standard
> behavior.  Ido always wants a confirmation if the file or buffer doesn't
> exist.  The default setting of confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer is
> after-completion, and then you are asked only to confirm if the last
> command was a completion command.  The current ido behavior equivalent
> to setting this variable to t (which I do anyway).  But probably ido
> should be as compatible with the standard behavior as far as possible.

In a way ido is always trying to complete what you type, so in what
ido command/key should after-completion apply to ?  E.g. TAB is rarely
used in ido (at least I don't use it much).

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-08 23:16           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

Hi Kim,

> In a way ido is always trying to complete what you type, so in what
> ido command/key should after-completion apply to ?  E.g. TAB is rarely
> used in ido (at least I don't use it much).

I agree.  After using the patch for one day I'd say it's fine as it is.

Thanks a lot,
Tassilo
--
The Bible was originally titled "Chuck Norris and Friends"

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-09 16:57             ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-09 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> Hi Kim,
>
>> In a way ido is always trying to complete what you type, so in what
>> ido command/key should after-completion apply to ?  E.g. TAB is rarely
>> used in ido (at least I don't use it much).
>
> I agree.  After using the patch for one day I'd say it's fine as it is.
>
> Thanks a lot,

Thanks for testing.

Is it ok to install this patch now ?

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-05-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is it ok to install this patch now ?

Yes, please, thank you,

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-10 21:28     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2009-05-07 12:38 +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I like the new find-file behavior with the default setting of
>>> `confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer', because I'm a bad but fast
>>> typist. ;-)
>>>
>>> I use ido-mode, but that doesn't respect this variable and opens a new
>>> file/buffer without any confirmation, even if the last command was a
>>> completion command.  It would be great if the ido commands would behave
>>> like the standard find-file and switch-to-buffer commands.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Tassilo
>>>

>> Does this patch give the desired result?
>
> I reported a bug related to this.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/107007/focus=107013
>
> Could you see if the fix there is still needed?

Thank you for the pointer - this is fixed with my new patch.

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-10 21:29                 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-05-10 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Is it ok to install this patch now ?
>
> Yes, please, thank you,

Done (with one additional fix).

* Re: IDO doesn't honor confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer
@ 2009-05-11  1:07       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-05-11  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

@ 2009-05-12 21:22       ` Leo