* poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-12 23:51 Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-05-12 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

I am developing a holdem poker engine in Emacs Lisp, intended for
eventual submission as lisp/play/poker.el.

The basics are done, the interface still needs some more polishing.

For now, M-x poker will start an interactive game of 10 players
(you against 9 bots).
Bots can also just play against each other.

If anyone wants to take an early look, it is here:

  http://github.com/mlang/poker.el

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13  1:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-13  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If anyone wants to take an early look, it is here:
>   http://github.com/mlang/poker.el

Why not add it to `elpa'?

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 11:49   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-05-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> If anyone wants to take an early look, it is here:
>>   http://github.com/mlang/poker.el
>
> Why not add it to `elpa'?

Because I initially thought lisp/play deserves some more "real" games :-)

However, I can also go for ELPA, if this is what is prefered these
days.  How do I apply for an account such that I can commit to ELPA?  Or
is that handled by someone for me?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 12:50     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Because I initially thought lisp/play deserves some more "real" games :-)
> However, I can also go for ELPA, if this is what is prefered these days.

Yes, I prefer adding packages to GNU ELPA these days, unless they're
"core" packages (i.e. likely used by default, by most users, or by many
other packages).

Some GNU ELPA packages may later move into core, of course, or
alternatively (sadly, this hasn't been worked out yet) the Emacs release
would/will bundle up some GNU ELPA packages.

> How do I apply for an account such that I can commit to ELPA?

Ask for membership in the "emacs" group, from your savannah account.

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 12:56     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-13 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:
>
>>> If anyone wants to take an early look, it is here:
>>>   http://github.com/mlang/poker.el
>>
>> Why not add it to `elpa'?
>
> Because I initially thought lisp/play deserves some more "real" games :-)
>
> However, I can also go for ELPA, if this is what is prefered these
> days.  How do I apply for an account such that I can commit to ELPA?  Or
> is that handled by someone for me?

Ooh, ooh! I just went through this and can help you. Go here:

https://savannah.gnu.org/

Go to the "new user" link in the top left, and do the necessary. Once
you have your user set up, also add a SSH key to your profile, you'll
need that later. Once you're logged in, go to "my groups", and request
addition to the "emacs" group. Once you've got that, you should be able
to clone the "elpa" repository as per these instructions:

https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

Under the "member clone" section.

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 13:14       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-05-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2014-05-13 14:56, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>> However, I can also go for ELPA, if this is what is prefered these
>> days.  How do I apply for an account such that I can commit to ELPA?  Or
>> is that handled by someone for me?
>
> Ooh, ooh! I just went through this and can help you. Go here:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/
>
> Go to the "new user" link in the top left, and do the necessary. Once
> you have your user set up, also add a SSH key to your profile, you'll
> need that later. Once you're logged in, go to "my groups", and request
> addition to the "emacs" group.

I'm also thinking of submitting a package for ELPA (a small addition to
orgmode to help scheduling reviews). The membership request page says
"Therefore, usually you would first contact the project developers
(e.g., using a project mailing list) before requesting formal inclusion
using this form." Is it also the etiquette for ELPA? (If so, please
consider this as a contact ☺.)

Best,

Alan

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 18:59       ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-05-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Because I initially thought lisp/play deserves some more "real" games :-)
>> However, I can also go for ELPA, if this is what is prefered these days.
>
> Yes, I prefer adding packages to GNU ELPA these days, unless they're
> "core" packages (i.e. likely used by default, by most users, or by many
> other packages).
>
> Some GNU ELPA packages may later move into core, of course, or
> alternatively (sadly, this hasn't been worked out yet) the Emacs release
> would/will bundle up some GNU ELPA packages.
>
>> How do I apply for an account such that I can commit to ELPA?
>
> Ask for membership in the "emacs" group, from your savannah account.

Thanks for cleuing me in.  I will have to delay this until I find
sighted assistance.  I am apparently failing to solve the audio captcha. Sigh.
Damn captchas.  While I will find a way to circumvent this, I
have to say what I think: CAPTCHAs are immoral, as much as proprietary
software is.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: poker.el: Texas Holdem for lisp/play/
@ 2014-05-13 20:19         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thanks for cleuing me in.  I will have to delay this until I find
> sighted assistance.  I am apparently failing to solve the audio
> captcha. Sigh.

IIUC, this is needed to create the Savannah account, right?
[ If you already have a Savannah account, I could add you manually.  ]

> Damn captchas.  While I will find a way to circumvent this, I have to
> say what I think: CAPTCHAs are immoral, as much as proprietary
> software is.

Indeed, they're fundamentally wrong (although they are "popular" because
they solve a difficult problem).

I suggest you go the Savannah, then select "Get support" and in there
select "Support => Submit" to create a ticket where you can ask them to
create an account for you.
That will also give you an opportunity to complain about the use of
captchas to people slightly closer to those who make the choice.