* Question about commit policy
@ 2015-06-19 12:51 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2015-06-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I haven't committed any changes or followed the lists very closely for a
while, so I'm not up to speed and need clarification.  I want to commit
a couple of bug fixes for todo-mode.el; the bugs exist on both emacs-24
and master, so should I commit to emac-24?  CONTRIBUTE says yes, but
since AFAICS there has only been one commit to emacs-24 since the
release but many bug fix commits to master (maybe all new bugs, I
haven't checked), I'm not sure what the current policy is.

Steve Berman

* Re: Question about commit policy
@ 2015-06-19 14:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-06-19 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I haven't committed any changes or followed the lists very closely for a
> while, so I'm not up to speed and need clarification.  I want to commit
> a couple of bug fixes for todo-mode.el; the bugs exist on both emacs-24
> and master, so should I commit to emac-24?  CONTRIBUTE says yes, but
> since AFAICS there has only been one commit to emacs-24 since the
> release but many bug fix commits to master (maybe all new bugs, I
> haven't checked), I'm not sure what the current policy is.

You can commit your bugfixes to emacs-24 (but they have to be 100%
obviously safe), but it's not super important.  There's no plan to make
a new release from the `emacs-24' branch, so the only scenario where
we'll make use of it, is some kind of big security hole or something
which creates an urgent need for a new release (with very little
pretesting, if any).

* Re: Question about commit policy
@ 2015-06-19 15:17   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2015-06-19 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:11:01 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> I haven't committed any changes or followed the lists very closely for a
>> while, so I'm not up to speed and need clarification.  I want to commit
>> a couple of bug fixes for todo-mode.el; the bugs exist on both emacs-24
>> and master, so should I commit to emac-24?  CONTRIBUTE says yes, but
>> since AFAICS there has only been one commit to emacs-24 since the
>> release but many bug fix commits to master (maybe all new bugs, I
>> haven't checked), I'm not sure what the current policy is.
>
> You can commit your bugfixes to emacs-24 (but they have to be 100%
> obviously safe), but it's not super important.  There's no plan to make
> a new release from the `emacs-24' branch, so the only scenario where
> we'll make use of it, is some kind of big security hole or something
> which creates an urgent need for a new release (with very little
> pretesting, if any).

Thanks.  They're safe fixes, so I committed them to emacs-24; hope
Someone™ will merge them to master soon ;-)

@ 2015-06-19 23:53     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-06-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman wrote:
> Thanks.  They're safe fixes, so I committed them to emacs-24; hope
> Someone™ will merge them to master soon;-)

Thanks, I merged them.  These days, people generally fixes like that into the
master branch, as it makes less work for everybody -- emacs-24 is mostly dead.

* Re: Question about commit policy
@ 2015-06-20  9:44       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2015-06-20  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:53:00 -0700 Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Thanks.  They're safe fixes, so I committed them to emacs-24; hope
>> Someone™ will merge them to master soon;-)
>
> Thanks, I merged them.  These days, people generally fixes like that into the
> master branch, as it makes less work for everybody -- emacs-24 is mostly dead.

Oh, ok.  I had understood Stefan as giving me the go-ahead for emacs-24,
but on re-reading, I should have considered more the likelihood of
another release from that branch.  Sorry for the extra work, but thanks
for merging.

Steve Berman