* Question
       [not found] <20191110031420.yosogxfr6kgrctwn.ref@Ergus>
@ 2019-11-10  3:14 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2019-11-10  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajeev Narang via "Emacs development discussions."

Hi:

I am not proposing anything just making a question:

Why, if we have imenu (which looks better than the list-buffers), it is
not the default for C-x C-b?

I know it is just a line in the config, but for example when loading
with emacs -Q will be available by default and have a most modern view.

Is it a reason for that or just the typical disagree about defaults?

* Re: Question about ibuffer
@ 2019-11-10  3:17   ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2019-11-10  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajeev Narang via "Emacs development discussions."

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 04:14:22AM +0100, Ergus wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I am not proposing anything just making a question:
>
>Why, if we have imenu (which looks better than the list-buffers), it is
>not the default for C-x C-b?
>
>I know it is just a line in the config, but for example when loading
>with emacs -Q will be available by default and have a most modern view.
>
>Is it a reason for that or just the typical disagree about defaults?

Sorry I mean ibuffer my bad.

* Re: Question
@ 2019-11-10  4:51   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-11-10  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: Rajeev Narang via "Emacs development discussions."

> Why, if we have ibuffer (which looks better than the list-buffers), it is
> not the default for C-x C-b?

Because list-buffers was there (long) before and ibuffer is not a simple
drop in replacement (it has a different UI, for one, and I'm not
completely sure that it is a strict superset w.r.t features).

It's a long standing problem, indeed.

* Re: Question
@ 2019-11-10  8:07   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2019-11-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: Rajeev Narang via "Emacs development discussions."

On Nov 10 2019, Ergus wrote:

> Why, if we have imenu (which looks better than the list-buffers)

Does it?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Question
@ 2019-11-10  9:06     ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2019-11-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Ergus, emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 08:08 Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> On Nov 10 2019, Ergus wrote:
>
> > Why, if we have imenu (which looks better than the list-buffers)
>
> Does it?

If Ergus meant ibuffer, then yes it does. Though looks aren't everything
and the UI could be revised slightly to work nicely for
non-ibuffer-power-users. Or to approach list-buffer's.

João

* Re: Question about ibuffer
@ 2019-11-14  9:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-11-14  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 04:17:43 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> >Why, if we have imenu (which looks better than the list-buffers), it is
> >not the default for C-x C-b?
> >
> >I know it is just a line in the config, but for example when loading
> >with emacs -Q will be available by default and have a most modern view.
> >
> >Is it a reason for that or just the typical disagree about defaults?
>
> Sorry I mean ibuffer my bad.

I have C-x C-b rebound to a different command long ago (not to
ibuffer), and I don't really understand why we need to talk about
defaults that are so easy to change as the user sees fit.

If we do change the default in this case, we will need to adapt the
related documentation, including the tutorial and the user manual.

* Re: Question about ibuffer
@ 2019-11-14 13:58       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-11-14 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Ergus, emacs-devel

> I have C-x C-b rebound to a different command long ago (not to
> ibuffer), and I don't really understand why we need to talk about
> defaults that are so easy to change as the user sees fit.

That's why I'd like to merge ibuffer and list-buffers: so we get
extended functionality without the user having to choose.

> If we do change the default in this case, we will need to adapt the
> related documentation, including the tutorial and the user manual.

A merge also won't require adapting the manual: only completing it with
the new functionality.