* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
       [not found] <E1WqZ19-0003OV-AT@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-31 19:27 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-05-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Michael Albinus

Hi Michael,

Unless it is a hydra glitch (always possible), my trunk r117208 seems to
cause tramp-test29-vc-registered to fail on hydra. Any ideas?

BTW, I think that test should set the BZR_HOME environment variable,
like test/automated/vc-bzr.el does. This will be good not just for
hydra, but to stop tests writing to ~/.bzr.log in general.

* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
@ 2014-06-01  7:50   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-06-01  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Glenn,

> Unless it is a hydra glitch (always possible), my trunk r117208 seems to
> cause tramp-test29-vc-registered to fail on hydra. Any ideas?

I've seen this already (but wasn't aware which change caused the error).
Tramp does some optimization in its vc-registered implementation, maybe
they are not compatible with your recent change. I'll check. In this
respect, the test does what it is intended to do - flag problems :-)

> BTW, I think that test should set the BZR_HOME environment variable,
> like test/automated/vc-bzr.el does. This will be good not just for
> hydra, but to stop tests writing to ~/.bzr.log in general.

Yes. However, it's not guaranteed that tramp-test29-vc-registered
chooses bzr. It could also take git or hg, whatever it finds on the test
machine. A bzr only change will be good for hydra, but maybe we need
some more general consideration here.

OTOH, it's not guaranteed that all people have set BZR_HOME. Couldn't
this setting hide problems, which would be detected otherwise in the tests?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
@ 2014-06-01 17:23     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-01 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

>> BTW, I think that test should set the BZR_HOME environment variable,
>> like test/automated/vc-bzr.el does. This will be good not just for
>> hydra, but to stop tests writing to ~/.bzr.log in general.
>
> Yes. However, it's not guaranteed that tramp-test29-vc-registered
> chooses bzr. It could also take git or hg, whatever it finds on the test
> machine.

It will be harmless to set BZR_HOME if something other than bzr is used.
But you should be able to make the setting conditional on bzr being
chosen, if you like. (I could not figure out if I needed to modify
process-environment or tramp-remote-process-environment, and if the
latter needed to be changed early on.)

> A bzr only change will be good for hydra, but maybe we need some more
> general consideration here.

As I said, I think it will be good for everyone to set BZR_HOME to a
temp value.

> OTOH, it's not guaranteed that all people have set BZR_HOME.

I don't understand.

> Couldn't this setting hide problems, which would be detected otherwise
> in the tests?

It only hides the problem of a non-functioning bzr due to a missing HOME
directory, which is not Emacs's problem IMO.

* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
@ 2014-06-01 17:59       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-06-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> It will be harmless to set BZR_HOME if something other than bzr is used.
> But you should be able to make the setting conditional on bzr being
> chosen, if you like. (I could not figure out if I needed to modify
> process-environment or tramp-remote-process-environment, and if the
> latter needed to be changed early on.)

It's tramp-remote-process-environment. I'll set it in
tramp-test29-vc-registered with my next commit.

>> OTOH, it's not guaranteed that all people have set BZR_HOME.
>
> I don't understand.

I meant that bzr could behave different, depending whether BZR_HOME is
set, or not. Don't know.

But *this* is not the purpose of tramp-test29-vc-registered. If needed
it could be tested in vc-bzr-test*.

Now I have tons of traces on hydra. I'll dig through them, until I'll
see what happens. Unfortunately, this problem does not occur in my local
Emacs trunk stanza.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
@ 2014-06-01 22:22         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-01 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

> I meant that bzr could behave different, depending whether BZR_HOME is
> set, or not. Don't know.

I think that would be bzr's problem, not ours.

> Unfortunately, this problem does not occur in my local Emacs trunk
> stanza.

Nor mine. HOME does not exist on hydra.

HOME=/foo bzr st README

returns non-zero, which will be very confusing for Emacs.
This is why I recommend setting BZR_HOME to a temporary, existing
directory. I think that's the first thing to check.

* Re: Emacs-diffstrunk r117208: * lisp/files.el (locate-dominating-file): Expand file argument.
@ 2014-06-02 18:42           ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-06-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

>> Unfortunately, this problem does not occur in my local Emacs trunk
>> stanza.
>
> Nor mine. HOME does not exist on hydra.

That was exactly the problem. `tramp-handle-unhandled-file-name-directory'
did return (expand-file-name "~/"), which failed on hydra. Should be
fixed now.

Best regards, Michael.