* [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06  5:02 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-06  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has this been fixed?

To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:53:40 +0100
Subject: Build failure under Suse 10.0

Hello

I get a build failure with current CVS-Head:

gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/
include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c
image.c: In function ?gif_load?:
image.c:7874: error: ?struct <anonymous>? has no member named ?Function?
make[2]: *** [image.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

[inverness:~d/cvs/emacs]$ rpm -q giflib giflib-devel
giflib-4.1.3-7.2
giflib-devel-4.1.3-7.2

I don't have any strange gif_lib.h files lying around and the relevant
lines in /usr/include/gif_lib.h look ok to me:

/* This is the in-core version of an extension record */
typedef struct {
    int ByteCount;
    char *Bytes;    /* on malloc(3) heap */
    int Function;   /* Holds the type of the Extension block. */
} ExtensionBlock;

- --
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
space to spread a tremendous amount of information with your messages. So seize
this opportunity and don't waste your signature with bullshit nobody will read.

* Re: [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06  7:53 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-11-06  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Can you do:

gcc -dD -E -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I.
-I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c > x.i

and sen med x.i (no need to send it to the whole list, it might be big).

Thanks,

	Jan D.

@ 2006-11-06  8:04   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-11-06  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv skrev:
> Can you do:
>
> gcc -dD -E -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I.
> -I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -I/usr/include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c > x.i
>
> and sen med x.i (no need to send it to the whole list, it might be big).

       ^^^^^^^  "send me".

	Jan D.

* Re: [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06  8:40 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-11-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Has this been fixed?
>
> From: Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net>
> Subject: Build failure under Suse 10.0
> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:53:40 +0100
>
> Hello
>
> I get a build failure with current CVS-Head:
>
> gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/
> include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c
> image.c: In function ?gif_load?:
> image.c:7874: error: ?struct <anonymous>? has no member named ?Function?
> make[2]: *** [image.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src'
> make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

No, I still get the same error with a fresh checkout of todays CVS
head. I also tried compiling under a fresh user account to prevent
strange settings of environment variables hindering compilation but this
didn't change anything, too.

--

@ 2006-11-06  9:19   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-11-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

You have in /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h:

typedef struct {
     int ByteCount;
     char *Bytes;
} ExtensionBlock;

i.e. no Function member.  It may be a stray file from some older version.
Please make sure it is the correct header file, in your previous post you said
/usr/include/gif_lib.h had a Function member.

	Jan D.

@ 2006-11-06  9:51     ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-11-06  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> You have in /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h:
>
> typedef struct {
>     int ByteCount;
>     char *Bytes;
> } ExtensionBlock;
>
> i.e. no Function member.  It may be a stray file from some older
> version. Please make sure it is the correct header file, in your

Indeed, that's the problem. I have searched via locate for gif_lib.h but
it didn't return this file as /usr/local is a remote NFS share which
isn't indexed.

The file /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h is a relict from an ancient libgif
(3.0), /usr/include/gif_lib.h is the correct one so the error is a
problem on my side and the bug can be considered closed.

Perhaps it's possible to enhance the configure test for libgif to check
if the installed libgif fulfills emacs requirements.

--

@ 2006-11-06 10:49       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-11-06 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Frank Schmitt skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> You have in /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h:
>>
>> typedef struct {
>>     int ByteCount;
>>     char *Bytes;
>> } ExtensionBlock;
>>
>> i.e. no Function member.  It may be a stray file from some older
>> version. Please make sure it is the correct header file, in your
>
> Indeed, that's the problem. I have searched via locate for gif_lib.h but
> it didn't return this file as /usr/local is a remote NFS share which
> isn't indexed.
>
> The file /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h is a relict from an ancient libgif
> (3.0), /usr/include/gif_lib.h is the correct one so the error is a
> problem on my side and the bug can be considered closed.
>
> Perhaps it's possible to enhance the configure test for libgif to check
> if the installed libgif fulfills emacs requirements.

It already does, search for

checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lungif

in the configure output.  I suspect this check succeeds because configure
links with your libungif in /usr/lib.  Not much we can do if the header file
does not match the lib.

	Jan D.

* Re: [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06 21:00         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ich, emacs-devel

    in the configure output.  I suspect this check succeeds because configure
    links with your libungif in /usr/lib.  Not much we can do if the header file
    does not match the lib.

If this is the standard Suse 10.0 configuration, what we CAN do
is put an entry in etc/PROBLEMS telling people a workaround.

* Re: [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06 22:28           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-06 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jan Djärv, ich, emacs-devel

On Mon, Nov 06 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     in the configure output.  I suspect this check succeeds because
>     configure links with your libungif in /usr/lib.  Not much we can
>     do if the header file does not match the lib.
>
> If this is the standard Suse 10.0 configuration, what we CAN do
> is put an entry in etc/PROBLEMS telling people a workaround.

I don't think this is necessary.  The stray file
/usr/local/include/gif_lib.h wasn't from a standard SUSE configuration
(SUSE doesn't install any file below /usr/local).

BTW, I removed the item from FOR-RELEASE.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: [ich@frank-schmitt.net: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
@ 2006-11-06 22:49           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-11-06 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jan Djärv, ich, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If this is the standard Suse 10.0 configuration, what we CAN do
> is put an entry in etc/PROBLEMS telling people a workaround.

A standard installation wouldn't have anything in /usr/local.

Andreas.