* minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-04-30  6:56 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2007-04-30  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I grabbed the 22.0.99 pretest and built it on a couple of Macs, one
PPC and one Intel.  Both builds went just fine, and Emacs installs
and (so far) runs fine as well.

A couple observations, neither of which seems critical to address for
the release:

1) The installer adds files to /Applications/Emacs.app if it already
exists, rather than replacing that tree completely.  On one of my
machines, /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin now contains
both emacs-22.0.91 and emacs-22.0.99.  If I move Emacs.app to the
trash before installing, the result is cleaner, with just
emacs-22.0.99.  (Similarly for other files: the old DOC file, some
elisp and image files, etc., were left over from the old version.)

Is this intentional or expected, or a bug?

2) Out of curiosity, I compared the Intel and PPC trees with diff.
Not only were the executables different, which was expected of
course, but also leim/quail had differences in the .el.gz and .elc
files.  Picking a .el.gz file at random, the only difference I found
was in the date stamp.

Are these files in fact going to be identical aside from the date
stamp in all builds?  If so, perhaps like the .elc files in the lisp
tree they should be pre-generated for the release and pretest
distributions.

Ken

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-04-30 10:25 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-04-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:

> 1) The installer adds files to /Applications/Emacs.app if it already
> exists, rather than replacing that tree completely.  On one of my
> machines, /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin now contains  both
> emacs-22.0.91 and emacs-22.0.99.  If I move Emacs.app to the  trash before
> installing, the result is cleaner, with just  emacs-22.0.99.  (Similarly
> for other files: the old DOC file, some  elisp and image files, etc., were
> left over from the old version.)
>
> Is this intentional or expected, or a bug?

What do you mean with "installer"?  Do you use make-package?

> 2) Out of curiosity, I compared the Intel and PPC trees with diff.  Not
> only were the executables different, which was expected of  course, but
> also leim/quail had differences in the .el.gz and .elc  files.  Picking a
> .el.gz file at random, the only difference I found  was in the date stamp.

The files could be compressed with `gzip -n' which would leave out the
time stamp.

Andreas.

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-04-30 19:25   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2007-04-30 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Apr 30, 2007, at 06:25, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:
>
>> 1) The installer adds files to /Applications/Emacs.app if it already
>> exists, rather than replacing that tree completely.  On one of my
>> machines, /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin now contains
>> both
>> emacs-22.0.91 and emacs-22.0.99.  If I move Emacs.app to the
>> trash before
>> installing, the result is cleaner, with just  emacs-22.0.99.
>> (Similarly
>> for other files: the old DOC file, some  elisp and image files,
>> etc., were
>> left over from the old version.)
>>
>> Is this intentional or expected, or a bug?
>
> What do you mean with "installer"?  Do you use make-package?

Oh, yes, sorry.  I used make-package --self-contained, which produced
EmacsInstaller.dmg, a disk image containing a Mac installer package
file.

>> 2) Out of curiosity, I compared the Intel and PPC trees with
>> diff.  Not
>> only were the executables different, which was expected of
>> course, but
>> also leim/quail had differences in the .el.gz and .elc  files.
>> Picking a
>> .el.gz file at random, the only difference I found  was in the
>> date stamp.
>
> The files could be compressed with `gzip -n' which would leave out the
> time stamp.

Sorry again :-).  There's a line near the top of the .el file
containing a date stamp of when the file was generated.  So the file
contents differed, but not in any way that should've been important.

@ 2007-04-30 19:41     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-04-30 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 06:25, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:
>>
>>> 1) The installer adds files to /Applications/Emacs.app if it already
>>> exists, rather than replacing that tree completely.  On one of my
>>> machines, /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin now contains  both
>>> emacs-22.0.91 and emacs-22.0.99.  If I move Emacs.app to the  trash
>>> before
>>> installing, the result is cleaner, with just  emacs-22.0.99.
>>> (Similarly
>>> for other files: the old DOC file, some  elisp and image files, etc.,
>>> were
>>> left over from the old version.)
>>>
>>> Is this intentional or expected, or a bug?
>>
>> What do you mean with "installer"?  Do you use make-package?
>
> Oh, yes, sorry.  I used make-package --self-contained, which produced
> EmacsInstaller.dmg, a disk image containing a Mac installer package  file.

I haven't seen that behaviour myself (neither in 10.3 nor 10.4), but I
don't use --self-contained.

Andreas.

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-04-30 22:10 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Are these files in fact going to be identical aside from the date
    stamp in all builds?  If so, perhaps like the .elc files in the lisp
    tree they should be pre-generated for the release and pretest
    distributions.

They definitely should be.  I did not realize this was not already the
case.  Can someone please fix this and ack?

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-05-01  1:04   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-05-01  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Ken Raeburn, Kenichi Handa, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Are these files in fact going to be identical aside from the date
>     stamp in all builds?  If so, perhaps like the .elc files in the lisp
>     tree they should be pre-generated for the release and pretest
>     distributions.
>
> They definitely should be.  I did not realize this was not already the
> case.  Can someone please fix this and ack?

It's not apparent from what you quote, but you do know this refers to
only a small number of files in the leim/quail directory, right? The
associated .el files are not even included with an Emacs tarball at
present, because they are generated from various dictionary files at
build time.

I don't know if there is any reason for this besides space-saving, but
it was not considered a problem two years ago:

emacs-devel, 2005/04/13, "make-dist doesn't distribute some quail files"
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-04/msg00475.html

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-05-01 10:58     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2007-05-01 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Kenichi Handa, rms, emacs-devel

On Apr 30, 2007, at 21:04, Glenn Morris wrote:
> It's not apparent from what you quote, but you do know this refers to
> only a small number of files in the leim/quail directory, right? The
> associated .el files are not even included with an Emacs tarball at
> present, because they are generated from various dictionary files at
> build time.

It looks like the installed package has 21 .elc files in the quail
directory that aren't included in the distribution.  (And 21 .el
files, I assume, but haven't verified.)

> I don't know if there is any reason for this besides space-saving, but
> it was not considered a problem two years ago:
>
> emacs-devel, 2005/04/13, "make-dist doesn't distribute some quail
> files"
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-04/msg00475.html

I assume the issue is space versus build time.  I guess the question
is just where to draw the line.  As far as I recall offhand, all the
other generated files that are independent of configuration options
and platform are all the other .elc files and a couple
regenerated .el files, and we include those in the distribution.  Not
really a big deal, either way...

@ 2007-05-02  1:39   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-05-02  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Ken Raeburn, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Are these files in fact going to be identical aside from the date
>     stamp in all builds?  If so, perhaps like the .elc files in the lisp
>     tree they should be pre-generated for the release and pretest
>     distributions.
>
> They definitely should be. I did not realize this was not already
> the case. Can someone please fix this and ack?

I see you added this to FOR-RELEASE.

i) There is no _need_ to do this before the release, is there?. No
problems have been reported to come from the present arrangement,
which has been in place for years, and all the pretests to date.

ii) Changing make-dist to add these .elc files (and the associated .el
files) is trivial (largely a matter of taking out the lines that
exclude these files), however:

iii) You will also need to change at least leim/Makefile.in. Doing
`make clean' in leim/ currently deletes the generated .el and .elc
files. So if you just add these files to the distribution without
changing leim/Makefile.in, `make clean' will remove some files that
were present in the distribution tarball. IMO it is on principal a
poor idea to make changes to the Makefiles shortly before a release
(if this is still true) when it is not necessary.

* Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
@ 2007-05-02  4:39     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-05-02  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: raeburn, handa, emacs-devel

    It's not apparent from what you quote, but you do know this refers to
    only a small number of files in the leim/quail directory, right?

No, I had forgotten about that.

Given that this is a special case, and not just a forgetful omission,
there is no need to change this.