* Re: SEGV in enable_glyph_matrix_rows
       [not found] <v9r7ot2guh.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2004-09-24 12:08 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Can you investigate the data structure in this matrix that
is being cleared, and see what's invalid in it?
The backtrace suggests nothing except that you need to look
at that data.

* Re: SEGV in enable_glyph_matrix_rows
@ 2004-09-24 12:41   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-24 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Sep 24 2004, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Can you investigate the data structure in this matrix that
> is being cleared, and see what's invalid in it?
> The backtrace suggests nothing except that you need to look
> at that data.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with debugging C programs.  I don't know which
data I need to look at and how (although I have read etc/DEBUG).
Unless someone can tell me what to type at the gdb prompt, I'm afraid
I cannot give more useful information.

Maybe I already did something wrong by using `pr' here:

(gdb) p matrix
$1 = (struct glyph_matrix *) 0x9010000
(gdb) pr

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
0x4070b3a8 in write () from /lib/libc.so.6
The program being debugged was signaled while in a function called from GDB.
GDB remains in the frame where the signal was received.
To change this behavior use "set unwindonsignal on"
Evaluation of the expression containing the function (debug_print) will be abandoned.
(gdb) xtype
Argument to arithmetic operation not a number or boolean.
(gdb) p matrix
No symbol "matrix" in current context.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: SEGV in enable_glyph_matrix_rows
@ 2004-09-24 13:44     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-09-24 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe I already did something wrong by using `pr' here:

> (gdb) p matrix
> $1 = (struct glyph_matrix *) 0x9010000
> (gdb) pr
>
> Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
> 0x4070b3a8 in write () from /lib/libc.so.6

You need to make sure that the emacs process has a terminal before you can
use the pr command, because the actual output is produced by calling a
function in the running process.  If the process you are examining has
already crashed then you better not use that command.

> (gdb) xtype
> Argument to arithmetic operation not a number or boolean.

Both pr and xtype and also all the other x* commands expect that the last
printed value is a Lisp_Object.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: SEGV in enable_glyph_matrix_rows
@ 2004-09-25 15:34     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Maybe I already did something wrong by using `pr' here:

Yes, because that value is not of type Lisp_Object.
(Lisp_Object shows up as int.)

You can get out of the frames made by `pr' by typing `return' at the
outermost of them.

If someone has time to help you debug this, he should write to you
and ask for your phone number.  It would go too slow by email.