* running emacs in gdb 6.1
@ 2004-09-10 15:13 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2004-09-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running emacs in gdb 6.1 has some problems.  I regularly see the
following in the gdb window (while running the mew mailing program):

  Detaching after fork from child process 15526.
  Detaching after fork from child process 15528.

After a while, I get

  ---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

in the gdb window.  At this moment, emacs gets blank, and I have to
switch to the gdb window and press <return> so that I can continue
within Emacs.

Is there any possibility to make gdb suppress this message?

    Werner

* Re: running emacs in gdb 6.1
@ 2004-09-10 16:06 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-09-10 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> Is there any possibility to make gdb suppress this message?

You should ask the gdb people, this has nothing to do with emacs.  As a
workaround you can disable the pager in gdb with "set height 0".

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: running emacs in gdb 6.1
@ 2004-09-15  6:34   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2004-09-15  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> As a workaround you can disable the pager in gdb with
> "set height 0".

Thanks.  What about adding this to emacs/src/.gdbinit?

BTW, calling `gdb emacs' from emacs/src, I see

  Function "x_error_quitter" not defined.

    Werner

* Re: running emacs in gdb 6.1
@ 2004-09-15  9:43     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-09-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> As a workaround you can disable the pager in gdb with
>> "set height 0".

Another workaround is to increase the height of the terminal. :-)

> Thanks.  What about adding this to emacs/src/.gdbinit?

I don't think this is a good idea.  The pager is useful if you output a
longer disassembly listing.

> BTW, calling `gdb emacs' from emacs/src, I see
>
>   Function "x_error_quitter" not defined.

This happens because the function is only defined in a shared library,
which haven't been loaded yet at this time.  GDB has since 6.1 the nice
feature of pending breakpoints, but unfortunately they are only enabled
when setting a breakpoint interactively.