* [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-04-29 14:27 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It is a serious bug that a data type supposed to be readable
does not actually read in.  Would someone please fix this, then
ack?

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:52:39 +0200
From: Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table

hi

evaluating the read syntax of full keymaps does not work in 22.0.98.1 and
23.0.0.1 (unicode-2). it works in 21.4.1 and it works with sparse keymaps.

(setq some-map (make-keymap))

(with-temp-file "/tmp/map.el" (pp `(setq some-map ',some-map)
        (current-buffer)))

this results in:

(21.4.1 and 22.0.98.1):

(setq some-map
      '(keymap
    #^[t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
[...]
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil keymap]))

(23.0.0.1):

(setq some-map
      '(keymap
    #^[nil nil keymap nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]))

however when i try to evaluate the output from 23 in 23 (and from 22 in 22) i
get a "Invalid size char-table" error. it seams i can evaluate the output from
21/22 in 23 with success, however i did not test with a keymap with actual
keybindings.

(load-file "/tmp/map.el")

Best regards

Jonas

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-04-29 15:28 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-04-29 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It is a serious bug that a data type supposed to be readable
> does not actually read in.

I wasn't able to reproduce any such error in Emacs 22.

Andreas.

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-04-30 22:09   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-30 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Jonas.Bernoulli, emacs-devel

    > It is a serious bug that a data type supposed to be readable
    > does not actually read in.

    I wasn't able to reproduce any such error in Emacs 22.

Since you could not reproduce it, I tried it.  It did not err for me
either.

For now, I will just delete it from FOR-RELEASE.

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-05-01 11:48 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-05-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <E1HiANB-00072Q-AU@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It is a serious bug that a data type supposed to be readable
> does not actually read in.  Would someone please fix this, then
> ack?

> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:52:39 +0200
> From: Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch
> To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table

> hi

> evaluating the read syntax of full keymaps does not work in 22.0.98.1 and
> 23.0.0.1 (unicode-2). it works in 21.4.1 and it works with sparse keymaps.

I can't reproduce that bug with 22.0.98.1.

I could reproduce that bug with 23.0.0.1, but now it is
fixed by Andreas.

2007-04-29  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

	* lread.c (read1): Use CHAR_TABLE_STANDARD_SLOTS to validate
	char-table size.

By the way, Emacs 23 can't read a char-table printed by
Emacs 22.  Do you think it should be fixed somehow?  I think
it's not easy.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-05-01 12:08   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-05-01 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> By the way, Emacs 23 can't read a char-table printed by
> Emacs 22.  Do you think it should be fixed somehow?  I think
> it's not easy.

I don't think this is needed, since elc files are not compatible anyway.

Andreas.

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-05-01 12:20     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-05-01 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

In article <jezm4oeog3.fsf@sykes.suse.de>, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
> > By the way, Emacs 23 can't read a char-table printed by
> > Emacs 22.  Do you think it should be fixed somehow?  I think
> > it's not easy.

> I don't think this is needed, since elc files are not compatible anyway.

??? I remember I made Emacs 23 possible to load elc files
created by Emacs 22.  Do you have some elc file that can't
be loaded by Emacs 23 (except for that contains char-table)?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-05-01 12:39       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-05-01 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article <jezm4oeog3.fsf@sykes.suse.de>, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:
>
>> Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>> > By the way, Emacs 23 can't read a char-table printed by
>> > Emacs 22.  Do you think it should be fixed somehow?  I think
>> > it's not easy.
>
>> I don't think this is needed, since elc files are not compatible anyway.
>
> ??? I remember I made Emacs 23 possible to load elc files
> created by Emacs 22.

Sorry, I didn't know that.

> Do you have some elc file that can't be loaded by Emacs 23 (except for
> that contains char-table)?

I was assuming that due to the changed internal representation of
characters there is not much point in trying.

Andreas.

* Re: [Jonas.Bernoulli@stud.unibas.ch: read syntax of keymaps in 22/23: Invalid size char-table]
@ 2007-05-02  0:12   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-05-02  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

    By the way, Emacs 23 can't read a char-table printed by
    Emacs 22.  Do you think it should be fixed somehow?  I think
    it's not easy.

I think this incompatibility is acceptable.

Thanks for looking at the issue.