* Please include nt/INSTALL in release of Windows build from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
@ 2011-10-24 20:30 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-10-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Build 21.3 have no any INSTALL.

Build 22.3, 23.1, 23.2, 23.3 have INSTALL but have no 'nt/INSTALL'.

 From INSTALL:

   This file contains general information on building GNU Emacs.
   For more information specific to the MS-Windows, GNUstep/Mac OS X, and
   MS-DOS ports, also read the files nt/INSTALL, nextstep/INSTALL, and
   msdos/INSTALL.

Usual user can not found this nt/INSTALL...

I suggest in next Emacs release add this file to

   ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-24.1-bin-i386.zip

And may be rename nt/INSTALL to nt/INSTALL.w32
to follow README.w32 name convention...

This can help end user by providing necessary information
to properly install and configure Emacs under Windows.

* Re: Please include nt/INSTALL in release of Windows build from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
@ 2011-10-24 21:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:30:42 +0300
>
> Build 21.3 have no any INSTALL.
>
> Build 22.3, 23.1, 23.2, 23.3 have INSTALL but have no 'nt/INSTALL'.

If you are talking about the precompiled binaries, then their users
don't need nt/INSTALL, which explains how to _build_ Emacs from
sources.

The file README.W32, which you just complained about, is the subset of
nt/INSTALL that is relevant for precompiled binaries, and is placed
near the zip files.

> I suggest in next Emacs release add this file to
>
>    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-24.1-bin-i386.zip

There's no need, see above.

> This can help end user by providing necessary information
> to properly install and configure Emacs under Windows.

There's no need to install and configure a precompiled binary, beyond
what's in README.W32.