* Paired delimiters
@ 2011-07-18  9:18 Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2011-07-18  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The Elisp manual says that the "paired delimiter" syntax class is "like
string quote characters except that the syntactic properties of the
characters between the delimiters are not suppressed".  But the
description of the string syntax class doesn't talk about "suppressing"
anything.  So, I am at a loss to understand what the difference is
between the string class and paired delimiter class.

The context of my query is that I am trying to get the autopair-mode

  http://code.google.com/p/autopair/

to correctly in LaTeX-mode.

Cheers,
Uday

* Re: Paired delimiters
@ 2011-07-18 16:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-18 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uday S Reddy; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The Elisp manual says that the "paired delimiter" syntax class is "like
> string quote characters except that the syntactic properties of the
> characters between the delimiters are not suppressed".  But the description
> of the string syntax class doesn't talk about "suppressing" anything.  So,
> I am at a loss to understand what the difference is between the string class
> and paired delimiter class.

It's not very well defined, really.  Basically it means things like:

       "{" is perfectly valid
whereas
       ${$ is ill-balanced

and

       "foo % this is not a comment"
whereas
       $foo % this is a comment and this $ does not match the other.

> The context of my query is that I am trying to get the autopair-mode
>  http://code.google.com/p/autopair/
> to correctly in LaTeX-mode.

FWIW you may also like to take a look at electric-pair-mode (new in
Emacs-24).