The attached message was sent to the Gnus list, but the source of the problem is Emacs' coding system priorities. Emacs prefers mac-roman over utf-8 when decoding the text given below. I noticed that PROBLEMS in Emacs 21.3 prerelease no longer says that Unicode support is not complete (which it did in 21.2), so I assume the Unicode support has been completed, or at least the bugs has been fixed. So, shouldn't UTF-8 be preferred over mac-roman in emacs 21.3? Doesn't even Macintosh use UTF-8 now? Perhaps it is too late for 21.3, and if so, shouldn't we at least make this modification to HEAD? I verified that the same problem still applies. (You can reproduce it easily by simply cut'n'pasting the characters below to a new buffer in a emacs -q and try to save it, if your mail reader decodes this mail properly.) (Note that I run emacs in an UTF-8 locale, so this message will be encoded as UTF-8, even though it contains the same characters as originally reported.)