Miles Bader writes: > Simon Josefsson writes: >> I'm not sure if there was any consensus in the last discussion, but at >> least there were some voices that wanted it to be possible to disable >> the fringes from the menu (I remember Richard said it at least). >> >> So, how about if I commit this? > > Um, please no. You appear to have ignored most of the arguments. Were there more than in this mail? > The menu entries are probably uncontroversial because they allow > choosing from a set of different styles. OK. > However, you've retained the simple toggling version of `M-x fringe-mode', > and there seemed to be a reasonable concensus that the M-x command > shouldn't just turn off the fringes, but rather should do something like > prompt for a fringe style. There were several good ideas presented. > > Why not implement one of those? I never understood exactly how the ideas were supposed to work, but I've now implemented one approach below. It makes the user interface of fringe.el similar as mouse-avoidance-mode.el. Is this OK? > Another criticism is that you define a command called `toggle-fringe' > who's distinguishing feature is (apparently) that it only affects the > current frame -- if this is the case, it should probably reflect that in > the command name. > > Granted there are plenty of functions that only affect the current frame, > but don't have a name that says so, but it really is a bad idea to define > two `similar' commands, one affecting all frames, and the other affecting > only the current one, and to distinguish between them only by choosing two > different-but-apparently-equivalent names. It is consistent with how `toggle-scroll-bar' and `scroll-bar-mode' already behaves. The docstring and the prompt triggered by invoking `toggle-fringe' and `fringe-mode' should now be clear. Is this OK, or can you suggest alternative names?