* Associating module symbols with defining files
@ 2024-06-11 18:00 Spencer Baugh
From: Spencer Baugh @ 2024-06-11 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It's currently impossible to associate a symbol defined by a module with
the source file which actually defined that symbol.

If this were possible, things like help-view-source would be able to
jump to the source code for a module-defined function.  Under the hood,
ultimately we want symbol-file to return a correct filename for these
symbols.

Instead, currently, every symbol defined by a module is "defined" by the
module .so.  So jumping to source just jumps to the (compiled) .so,
which is fairly useless.

Could this be fixed?

* Re: Associating module symbols with defining files
@ 2024-06-12  7:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-12  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spencer Baugh; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 14:00:33 -0400
>

> It's currently impossible to associate a symbol defined by a module with
> the source file which actually defined that symbol.
>
> If this were possible, things like help-view-source would be able to
> jump to the source code for a module-defined function.  Under the hood,
> ultimately we want symbol-file to return a correct filename for these
> symbols.
>
> Instead, currently, every symbol defined by a module is "defined" by the
> module .so.  So jumping to source just jumps to the (compiled) .so,
> which is fairly useless.
>
> Could this be fixed?

Maybe.  But please submit a feature-request bug report with all the
details and a reproducer, so that we could track this issue.

Thanks.

* Re: Associating module symbols with defining files
@ 2024-06-12 15:23   ` Spencer Baugh
From: Spencer Baugh @ 2024-06-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
>> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 14:00:33 -0400
>>

>> It's currently impossible to associate a symbol defined by a module with
>> the source file which actually defined that symbol.
>>
>> If this were possible, things like help-view-source would be able to
>> jump to the source code for a module-defined function.  Under the hood,
>> ultimately we want symbol-file to return a correct filename for these
>> symbols.
>>
>> Instead, currently, every symbol defined by a module is "defined" by the
>> module .so.  So jumping to source just jumps to the (compiled) .so,
>> which is fairly useless.
>>
>> Could this be fixed?
>
> Maybe.  But please submit a feature-request bug report with all the
> details and a reproducer, so that we could track this issue.
>
> Thanks.

Sure, filed bug#71522