* cygwin gdb
@ 2008-07-03 11:52 René Kyllingstad
From: René Kyllingstad @ 2008-07-03 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'd like to set up a minimal .emacs to let others start using Emacs as an
interface to gdb where I work.

It turns out that cygwin gdb writes windows style paths as part of the
interactive log, but cygwin style paths as part of the annotation
information Emacs uses.

So while I was seeing c:/foo in the gdb interaction buffer, gud-find-file
would try to access /cygdrive/c/foo.

This is silently ignored, so the only symptom you have is that the source
is not being displayed when you hit a breakpoint and step through the code.

Including cygwin-mount.el in Emacs would address this, but I'm not sure of
the copyright situation there (I've written the 2 copyright holders listed
in the file, Michael Cook and Klaus Berndl.)

Another option would be to detect this situation and notify the user that
cygwin-mount.el should be set up to display the source code.

Any opinions?

-- René

* Re: cygwin gdb
@ 2008-07-03 21:36 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kyllingstad; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > It turns out that cygwin gdb writes windows style paths as part of the
 > interactive log, but cygwin style paths as part of the annotation
 > information Emacs uses.
 >
 > So while I was seeing c:/foo in the gdb interaction buffer, gud-find-file
 > would try to access /cygdrive/c/foo.
 >
 > This is silently ignored, so the only symptom you have is that the source
 > is not being displayed when you hit a breakpoint and step through the code.
 >
 > Including cygwin-mount.el in Emacs would address this, but I'm not sure of
 > the copyright situation there (I've written the 2 copyright holders listed
 > in the file, Michael Cook and Klaus Berndl.)
 >
 > Another option would be to detect this situation and notify the user that
 > cygwin-mount.el should be set up to display the source code.

I thought that this was discussed before and that the solution was either
to use  MinGW gdb or build your Emacs under Cygwin.  Isn't cygwin-mount.el
just a fix for when you have mixed builds?

* Re: cygwin gdb
@ 2008-07-03 22:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-03 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kyllingstad; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Including cygwin-mount.el in Emacs would address this, but I'm not sure of
> the copyright situation there (I've written the 2 copyright holders listed
> in the file, Michael Cook and Klaus Berndl.)

> Another option would be to detect this situation and notify the user that
> cygwin-mount.el should be set up to display the source code.

Last time this came up, the problem wasn't so much legal as the fact
that some people were of the opinion that cygwin-mount.el was wrong, for
some reason.
It looked to me like a good solution to a practical problem (an
alternative is of course to use Cygwin Emacs), but since I don't use
Windows my opinion doesn't matter that much,

* Re: cygwin gdb
@ 2008-07-03 22:59   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-03 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: René Kyllingstad, emacs-devel

> It looked to me like a good solution to a practical problem (an
> alternative is of course to use Cygwin Emacs), but since I don't use
> Windows my opinion doesn't matter that much,

I rarely use windows either, but when I have, I've found the divide
between "cygwin" and "not cygwin" emacs pretty annoying... I think it
would be very nice if "not cygwin" emacs could handle cygwin paths (as
output by e.g., gcc for errors).

-Miles

--
Un-American, adj. Wicked, intolerable, heathenish.