* vc-dir show only modified files?
@ 2008-12-04 13:07 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-12-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like a feature to vc-dir to show only some subset of files.  Often my work directory is polluted with lots of extraneous files, so vc-dir is useless as I can't see the modifications I want to check in through all the noise.

* Re: vc-dir show only modified files?
@ 2008-12-04 19:31 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-04 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'd like a feature to vc-dir to show only some subset of files.
> Often my work directory is polluted with lots of extraneous files, so
> vc-dir is useless as I can't see the modifications I want to check in
> through all the noise.

What kind of extraneous files?  What's their status?

* Re: vc-dir show only modified files?
@ 2008-12-04 19:47   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-12-04 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thursday 04 December 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I'd like a feature to vc-dir to show only some subset of files.
> > Often my work directory is polluted with lots of extraneous files, so
> > vc-dir is useless as I can't see the modifications I want to check in
> > through all the noise.
>
> What kind of extraneous files?  What's their status?

Files not intended to be in revision control.  Junk.

* Re: vc-dir show only modified files?
@ 2008-12-04 21:54     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-04 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > I'd like a feature to vc-dir to show only some subset of files.
>> > Often my work directory is polluted with lots of extraneous files, so
>> > vc-dir is useless as I can't see the modifications I want to check in
>> > through all the noise.
>> What kind of extraneous files?  What's their status?
> Files not intended to be in revision control.  Junk.

Then mark them as such (i.e. mark them to be "ignored").  All revision
control system have ways to do just that.  This is useful/necessary for
VC as well as for any other front-end (or even the command-line).