* pcvs log view not functional
@ 2008-07-25 14:06 finalpatch
From: finalpatch @ 2008-07-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, all

i just found that the logview window created from pressing "l" in a pcvs
buffer is a bit different from the logview window you get from "C-x v l" in
a source file buffer. all the functions (such as diff, annotate, find
version) in the logview menu doesnt work in the pcvs logview. it's as if the
logview is not linked to the file and logview-mode cannot do anything with
it.

--
Feng Li

* Re: pcvs log view not functional
@ 2008-07-25 19:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-25 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: finalpatch; +Cc: emacs-devel

> i just found that the logview window created from pressing "l" in a pcvs
> buffer is a bit different from the logview window you get from "C-x v l" in
> a source file buffer. all the functions (such as diff, annotate, find
> version) in the logview menu doesnt work in the pcvs logview.  it's as if the
> logview is not linked to the file and logview-mode cannot do anything with
> it.

I guess you tried to use the VC commands in the log view, and indeed
they do not work.  You need to use the PCL-CVS commands instead if the
log view comes from PCL-CVS.  The relevant prefix is C-x c, so C-x c =
will do a diff (IIRC there's a = shortcut for it).  Sadly, PCL-CVS does
not offer annotate, so that won't help you if you want to annotate
the revision (tho you can do C-x c o to open the revision and then C-x
v g to annotate it).

* Re: pcvs log view not functional
@ 2008-07-26  1:07   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-26  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: finalpatch, emacs-devel

Incidentally, on a similar note, in the log-view-mode, you need to do
"d" to get a diff, but I kept trying to type "=" since that's used other
places.  Maybe "=" should be bound there as well...

Actually I'd like RET to pop up the corresponding revision too
(currently RET does nothing, and you need to use "f" to do it...).

Anyone mind if I make these two bindings in log-view-mode?

  =    => log-view-diff
  RET  => log-view-find-revision

[Those are what my fingers keep telling me _should_ work...]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

* Re: pcvs log view not functional
@ 2008-07-26  1:52   ` finalpatch
From: finalpatch @ 2008-07-26  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

If these commands do not work, i think they probably should be removed from
the menu bar and C-x h m, because these are the most obvious places to find
out what the user can do with a buffer.  I would really like to see these
features working in a pcvs logview though. the ability to select a range in
the log and diff it is so sweet.

@ 2008-07-26  3:36     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-07-26  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: finalpatch, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

  > Incidentally, on a similar note, in the log-view-mode, you need to do
  > "d" to get a diff, but I kept trying to type "=" since that's used other
  > places.  Maybe "=" should be bound there as well...
  >
  > Actually I'd like RET to pop up the corresponding revision too
  > (currently RET does nothing, and you need to use "f" to do it...).
  >
  > Anyone mind if I make these two bindings in log-view-mode?
  >
  >   RET  => log-view-find-revision

I'd say yes, and the same should be done for annotate.

  >   =    => log-view-diff

Should `=' be used for single file diff, or for changeset diff? i.e. the
equivalent of `d' or `D' ?

* Re: pcvs log view not functional
@ 2008-07-26  5:10       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-26  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: finalpatch, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   >   =    => log-view-diff
>
> Should `=' be used for single file diff, or for changeset diff? i.e. the
> equivalent of `d' or `D' ?

No clue, really... both are useful ...

In git, both are equally fast, too, but in other systems perhaps that's
not true...

[Incidentally, in a "changeset diff", it might be cool if it positioned
the cursor on the flle-header for the file which the log was for...]

-Miles

--
Arrest, v. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.