* Strange error in .gdbinit on MS-Windows
@ 2010-04-23 14:44 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-23 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With an Emacs binary built from today's trunk, GDB barfs at startup
thusly:

  GNU gdb (GDB) 7.1
  and "show warranty" for details.
  This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
  Reading symbols from D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\test\src/./oo/i386/emacs.exe...done.
  SIGINT is used by the debugger.
  Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from termina
  l]
  Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
  Environment variable "TERM" not defined.
  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\test\src/.gdbinit:1311: Error in sourced command file:
  No struct type named Lisp_Symbol.

The same error message is displayed if I try the xsymbol command
within GDB.

This is on MS-Windows, as you see.  On GNU/Linux, I don't see this
problem.

Any ideas where to look for the reason and the fix?

* Re: Strange error in .gdbinit on MS-Windows
@ 2010-04-23 22:36 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-04-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 16:44, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> With an Emacs binary built from today's trunk, GDB barfs at startup
> thusly:

I don't see the problem in my setup:

C:\...\src> gdb ..\bin\emacs.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.1
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
Reading symbols from C:\emacs\src/..\bin\emacs.exe...done.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not
from terminal]
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
Environment variable "TERM" not defined.
Breakpoint 1 at 0x131a985: file w32fns.c, line 7349.
Temporary breakpoint 2 at 0x1110b5d: file sysdep.c, line 1121.
(gdb)

The emacs.exe used was just built from the trunk.

    Juanma

* Re: Strange error in .gdbinit on MS-Windows
@ 2010-04-24  7:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-24  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:36:31 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 16:44, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > With an Emacs binary built from today's trunk, GDB barfs at startup
> > thusly:
>
> I don't see the problem in my setup:

It could be a GCC bug, because some time into the startup, GDB
magically begins to recognize struct Lisp_Symbol.

If I decide to upgrade, what GCC version is recommended for MinGW?

* Re: Strange error in .gdbinit on MS-Windows
@ 2010-04-24  7:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-24  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lekktu, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:06:17 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:36:31 +0200
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 16:44, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > > With an Emacs binary built from today's trunk, GDB barfs at startup
> > > thusly:
> >
> > I don't see the problem in my setup:
>
> It could be a GCC bug, because some time into the startup, GDB
> magically begins to recognize struct Lisp_Symbol.

Found a simple way of fixing this: add a single line to .gdbinit
saying just

   set Fmake_symbol

It looks like some issue with delayed loading of symbol tables by GDB.
We already have a similar "set main" line to get gdb_valbits etc., so
I think this is an okay solution.

I committed this to the trunk.