* Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
@ 2008-05-13  1:10 David
From: David @ 2008-05-13  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

I recently re-built emacs 23 from cvs and there's a noticeable delay in many
repainting operations. Typing is sluggish and redrawing a buffer when
switching to it is noticeably slow.

So I tried to measure the difference.  I started two versions of emacs with
--no-init, loaded nothing, and immediately ran elp-instrument-function on
"ibuffer".  Here are the results:

emacs(GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-02-20 on
U0103223-XPA)
Function Name Call Count Elapsed Time Average Time
ibuffer        1           0.0           0.0

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-05-12 on U0103223-XPA
Function Name Call Count Elapsed Time Average Time
ibuffer        1           0.032         0.032

I ran elp-instrument-function again and got:
ibuffer        1           0.047         0.047

The time difference is very small, but with a loaded up emacs config the
time becomes very noticeable.
I built emacs on windows-xp using cygwin(-mno-cygwin however), ming32-make.
Both versions of the build where 'configured' the same:

Here's the 'report-emacs-bug' important stuff:

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-05-12 on U0103223-XPA
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -I../../include -msse3
-O3'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x M-p i <backspace> e l p 0 <backspace> - i n s t
M-x M-p M-p <return> M-p <return> M-x i b u f f e r
<down> <down> q C-x 1 M-x i b u f f e r - <M-backspace>
M-x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
elp-instrument-function: ELP cannot profile autoloaded function: ibuffer
Updating buffer list...
Formats have changed, recompiling...done
Mark set
Updating buffer list...done
Commands: m, u, t, RET, g, k, S, D, Q; q to quit; h for help
Quit
Mark set

* Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
@ 2008-05-13  5:03 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-05-13  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Hello,

On 5/13/08, David <david.boon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently re-built emacs 23 from cvs and there's a noticeable delay in many
> repainting operations. Typing is sluggish and redrawing a buffer when
> switching to it is noticeably slow.

I am noticing a similar behavior from the past 4~5 days. Is it related
to some change in "w32-get-true-file-attributes" modifications, well I
am taking a real wild guess based on ChangeLog history and my memory
from when I started seeing this slow down. I still do not have a MSVC
build and hence debugging is a big problem. I tried debugging the MSVC
issue, some GC related issue and have no clue about it!

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
@ 2008-05-13  5:10   ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-05-13  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

My expereince is more concerned with visiting files. I tried setting
w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil. It appears to be faster than
before but I need to test it further.

-dhruva

@ 2008-05-13  8:12 ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2008-05-13  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

David wrote:
> I recently re-built emacs 23 from cvs and there's a noticeable delay in
> many repainting operations. Typing is sluggish and redrawing a buffer
> when switching to it is noticeably slow.
[snip]

Hi David, have you tried launching emacs with --disable-font-backend to
see if it feels more snappy?
Oh, just a tiny disclaimer: I haven't built the emacs trunk since some
time in febraury so I don't know if that switch is needed or even if it
exists anymore, but it did indeed help me with my performace problems I
was having a few months ago (also on Windows).

The past few months I've been working on my new job and here we use
eclipse and oxygenxml for all our editing needs (xml-files, xml-schemas
and java) and I haven't gotten around to keeping up with the trunk on my
personal computers.

- Eric

* Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
@ 2008-05-13 18:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: david.boon, emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:40:23 +0530
> From: dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> My expereince is more concerned with visiting files. I tried setting
> w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil. It appears to be faster than
> before but I need to test it further.

The OP reported slowdown with redisplay and ibuffer, which I think
cannot have anything to do with the changes in w32 subroutines called
by file-attributes.

As for what you see, I announced here that the changes I made in the
emulation of `stat' in w32.c could very well make Emacs slower in
accessing many files, like in Dired.  I intend to work on speeding
that up, but in the meantime, if the slowdown annoys you, I advised to
set w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil.  If even setting it to nil
doesn't help, then the slowdown has nothing to do with my changes to
`stat' (whose purpose was to report true owner of each file and its
primary group), because a nil value causes `stat' to shortcut the code
I added.