* Shouldn't diff mode have single key hotkeys in read only mode?
@ 2018-07-17  7:06 JohnK
From: JohnK @ 2018-07-17  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I often use diff mode and since its buffers are read only by default,  it's strange it has no single key hotkeys like other read only modes do. (e.g. 'a' for diff-apply-hunk, etc.)

I know I can set these hotkeys myself, it just seems odd that there are no such keys by default when one uses the diff buffer in read only mode most of the time (e.g. by showing changes compared to the trunk), and editing diffs is more of an exception.

Shouldn't diff mode offer single key hotkeys too by default for efficient operation, and turn them off when the buffer is switched to writable (and then the current multikey hotkeys can be used)?

* Re: Shouldn't diff mode have single key hotkeys in read only mode?
@ 2018-07-17 15:33 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2018-07-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JohnK; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> I often use diff mode and since its buffers are read only by default,  it's strange it has no single key hotkeys like other read only modes do. (e.g. 'a' for diff-apply-hunk, etc.)

It does, but for its M- keys (SPC, DEL, n, p, RET).

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Shouldn't diff mode have single key hotkeys in read only mode?
@ 2018-07-18 16:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-07-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I often use diff mode and since its buffers are read only by default,  it's
> strange it has no single key hotkeys like other read only modes
> do. (e.g. 'a' for diff-apply-hunk, etc.)

Indeed, it's very strange that it doesn't for you, because it does for
me (tho not for `diff-apply-hunk`).  See diff-mode-shared-map.